We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

Greetings

I've posted in the past about our 2 weeks in the UK and have made changes to my itinerary based on feedback given from fellow posters. Thanks to all who contributed.

So I'm again looking for advice and suggestions based on this updated itinerary and if it's a reasonable timetable. All travel time we will be leaving early AM.

July 8, Arrive London until the 12th

July 12, leave London early AM, head to Bath visiting Stonehenge, spend the day and night in Bath

July 13, Leave Bath, travel to York via train

July 14-15, York Area

July 16 Leave York via car rental, travel to Langley Castle (Only night we could get a room for 1 night)

July 17-18 Newcastle/Northumberland area, drive to Scotland

July 18, 19, 20, 21 Edinburgh/Scotland

July 22, Depart UK from Glasgow

Other than the room booked in London for the time we're spending there, given the fact that our first day, July 8, we'll likely be suffering from jet lag. Room booked at Langley Castle, it's the only night we could get in that timeline. Everything else is open to further feedback. We have a basic idea of what we want to see in each area but most of that will be ironed out later on. Right now, I am in the process of booking accommodation in each area as it was suggested to me not to wing it as I had at first hoped. We realize that it's going to be a bit of a whirlwind trip and more time can be spent in each area however, We may never be able to make this trip again so the places listed are musts for us.

What I'm trying to make a decision on is whether we should simply do a day tour to Stonehenge/Bath from London on the 11th and then head straight to York from London on the 12th instead of spending a night in Bath.

Thanks in advance to any replies

Edited: 05 February 2014, 14:57
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

What I'm trying to make a decision on is whether we should simply do a day tour to Stonehenge/Bath from London on the 11th and then head straight to York from London on the 12th instead of spending a night in Bath.

======

Yes with one proviso. Yes you will miss a bit of Bath but you will have a more straightforward journey overall. However (heres the proviso) if you go on the 12th does that imply you want to spend more time elsewhere than London? As you have really cut back on London, its now arrive 8th, so write that off, you have 9/10 and then not there 11th and leave 12th. So only 2 full days there. that would be quite rushed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

Yes the awkward bit of your plan is Bath to York by train and whatever form of day trip from London you decide on in that direction would be worth including if possible because then London to York is a simple direct 2 hour journey.

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

My whole trip will be a rushed as I was only able to talk my husband into 2 weeks. Based on this itinerary, it allows me at least a couple of days in the areas we wish to see. We arrive early on the 8th so we're going to push through any fatigue we have from traveling and fit in at least a couple of sights. If we leave London on the 12 and do an over nighter in Bath, that gives us 3 full days in London. We plan to travel by train until York where we will rent a car. Unfortunately, the accommodation I've booked in London requires us to check out on the 12th due to prior bookings. Can we take a train from Bristol to York or would we have to back track back into London to catch a train?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

The easiest way to get from Bath to York by train would be to go thru London. There are lots of trains from Bath to London and lots from London to York. You will have to get across central London to Kings Cross station to catch your train to York. You can do this on the Underground, especially if you arrive from Bath after 9:30 when the commuter crush has mostly finished for the morning.

Be sure to pack light--you will have to transport your suitcases yourself on the trains and the tube. We take one carryon and one backpack per person.

When you get to Kings Cross, buy some sandwiches or packaged food from one of the shops in the station and enjoy a picnic on the train. You should be able to get to York from Bath by early afternoon with this plan.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

The easiest way to get from Bath to York by train would be to go thru London. There are lots of trains from Bath to London and lots from London to York. You will have to get across central London to Kings Cross station to catch your train to York. You can do this on the Underground, especially if you arrive from Bath after 9:30 when the commuter crush has mostly finished for the morning.

Be sure to pack light--you will have to transport your suitcases yourself on the trains and the tube. We take one carryon and one backpack per person.

When you get to Kings Cross, buy some sandwiches or packaged food from one of the shops in the station and enjoy a picnic on the train. You should be able to get to York from Bath by early afternoon with this plan.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

For train information use the National Rail's journey planner:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Looking at that there are two routes from Bath to York - that with one change in Bristol or that with two changes (Bath-Paddington then underground to Kings Cross then train to York) the latter is ironically a little quicker though both routes take 4-5 hours. The cheaper "advance" fares for your dates will not be released until around 10-12 weeks before the date of travel - they tie you to the specific train (no alteration or refund) but are usually significantly cheaper (flexibility is expensive). To see the sort of fares that may be available try some test dates for the same day of the week as you'd be travelling, but within 10-12 weeks.of today

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

Thanks for the replies. I'm checking with the place I booked my accommodations with hopes that they might be able to fit us in one more night, this way we can do a day trip to Bath then head to York via London instead of back tracking.

Any feedback about the Scotland leg of the trip? would it be worthwhile to spend 1 night in the Highlands or should we devote all our time to Edinburgh? We leave from Glasgow on the 22nd around 6pm I believe, so we have that day to tour around Glasgow a bit.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

"The easiest way to get from Bath to York by train would be to go thru London"

I don't know by what metric this could be considered 'easiest', although as CheresX says it does probably turn out a few minutes quicker.

Easiest is clearly the 15 minute hop to Templemeads and then a direct train to York. Changing mainline stations in London can't be easier than that.

Doing Bath as a daytrip and then starting the York journey from London is clearly preferable IMO though.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 18:40
9. Re: Advice on 2 week UK Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:22