We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach in March

Granby, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Best beach in March

What would be the best beach to visit in the middle of March? I'm not looking to swim or work on my tan, but nice views and interesting wildlife if that exists in March. I am driving around the UK for a couple of weeks and so can work just about anywhere in if it's worth it.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best beach in March

Love the area around Alnwick, Bamburgh and Seahouses. Some wild beaches with large sand dunes.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best beach in March

I don't think that the Northumbrian coast can be beaten so my vote goes to that without any doubt!:-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best beach in March

kdawg - to me, it sounds as if you are driving from London to Edinburgh. Or are you going elsewhere?

If that's your route, you are not passing that many great beaches, Northumberland excepted. Possibly Norfolk.

South Wales, Cornwall, and Scotland (many in the west) have great beaches, but it doesn't sound as if you are driving anywhere near them, and you don't want to drive out of your way.

You may well be passing some wonderful beaches without realising it. It would be helpful to mention your planned route(s), and we can probably suggest several places that are worth stopping at.

Granby, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Best beach in March

As I stated I will be all over the island. Thanks for the input as I will check out all your recommendations. I am arriving in London for a few days, taking train to Edinburgh for a couple of days, then renting car and hitting St. Andrews, Loch Ness, Glasgow, Hadrian's Wall, Lake District, Liverpool, Bath, Sherwood Forest, York, Wroxeter, Keswick, Penrith, Benefield, Marlborough, Glastonbury, Barkham Manor, Chartwell House, Lincolnshire, Durham, Shropshire, and Island of Skye to name a few and not in that order. I will be there 3+ weeks and have looked into the driving times, parking, etc. and am not worried as like many Americans I am used to extended driving and find it relaxing (yes, even driving on the opposite side I am used to as this will not be my first time driving in your country) and am planning the trip so I hit the things I absolutely want to see up front and then heading back towards Heathrow, so anything I have to skip will be of lower priority to me and will just get put on my to do list for next time. Thanks again for all your help.

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
276 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best beach in March

West wales and cardigan bay have the largest number of bottle nose dolphins on Europe, boat trips in the bay from Cardigan are excellent with a good chance of dolphins swimming alongside the boat. Loads of seals in the area and otters on the Teifi estuary. Our favourite beaches for your research are Mwnt and Poppit Sands. Hope that helps?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,919 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best beach in March

Sandwood Bay and Rhosilli beaches would be my choices.

I can also suggest a few in Scotland where you could almost guarantee to see otters - on Arran and Shetland..

You are covering a lot of miles, but you are not "all over". Thanks for clarifying your stops. Near Skye, there are good beaches (which have featured in movies ) around Arisaig and Morar. Enjoy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,301 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Best beach in March

Exmoor has the highest cliffs in England and the lowest land. Amazing beaches of huge variety and ancient harbours no two the same. But we seem to be left out of your plan as you aren't hitting the south coast or south west England.

I would vere off to the nearest coast when you feel like a break in your trip. You are going to find some good ones outside of the large towns. And the ones in Scotland are lovely too.

Still think you are optimistic in doing the whole of the 3 countries in 3 weeks but I hope you have a lovely time here and good weather.

28. Re: Best beach in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22