We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Good afternoon,

I am looking for recommendations for a trip that we are taking our 12 year daughter on later this year. She wants to see a few things like the Changing of the Guard and the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. I am just looking for ideas for things to see or do with our daughter with the limited time that we have. Here is a rough itinerary we were thinking about:

Day 1 - Changing of the Guard and various London sites

Day 2 - Oxford

Day 3 - Cotsworld

Day 4 - Travel to Dublin and see various sites around Dublin

Day 5 - Cliffs of Moher

Day 6 - Killarney

Day 7 - Belfast (Giant's Causeway)

Day 8 - Back to Dublin

Day 9 - Return to London to leave following morning

I apologize if this is vague or scattered. Just looking for helpful suggestions. I appreciate your time and respones!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.60*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from US$100.30*
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

I don't mean to be harsh but you need to start again. On the first day you will be jet lagged. Day 4 onwards you will need to travel constantly without stopping. You will not be able to see anything (eating and what to do with your bags each day might well be an issue too).

You understand that Ireland is a separate country from the UK, but Northern Ireland is part of the UK? You should post your questions about Ireland on the Ireland forum (but they will also tell you this route is barely physically possible unless you are a rally driver.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Akkarin,

Thanks for the feedback. Day One is actually our second day in the country, as the first day would be lost to jet lag. And the feedback about the distances is what I am looking for. I understand they are separate countries and this was just the first draft. If I need to change days or drop items, I am game. We are just looking for ideas and will build around those.

Thanks again!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 20:12
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

You seem to have five days in Ireland and are fitting in a schedule that we normally advise people not to try to do in under two weeks. Do you mean to take day trips from Dublin or drive?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Have you tried working out a timetable, allowing for driving times, meal times, working out where you are going to sleep, check in times, checking out, etc?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

It's impossible to do what you are trying to do in Ireland. You need to totally rethink your trip. You can't do Killarney-Belfast-Causeway in 24 hours and see anything. You would be in the car the whole way.

To get an idea of actual journey times look at aa routeplanner (ireland for northern ireland and RoI) and then add 10-20% to allow for slow traffic, diversions. That's just your basic driving time - without comfort/meal stops, photo opps etc. You"ll quickly see why you need to cut a lot of your first draft plan.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

I realise its a typo, but 'Cotsworld' sounds a lovely name for a new baby supplies shop !

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Thanks to everyone for bringing be back to reality. That is why I asked the questions I did. I now know that the Cliffs of Moher and Kilarney are almost impossible in a day trip. For our time in Ireland, we will tour Dublin, taking a day trip to Belfast and possibly a day trip to Glendalough. They rest will be spent in Dublin. We will look to do the same in London. We will drop Oxford and take an overnight trip to Cotswold or a day trip through Bath.

Thank you again for helping me!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

Not sure why you would drop Oxford and replace it with a day-trip to somewhere further away (ie Bath). The Cotswolds is quite a large area with a number of small villages that are best visited by car, or else would have to be done on an organised coach tour. I don't know your daughter, but that would not have enthused the 12 y.o. me.

If you really want to get a flavour of the Cotswolds, and don't want to drive or take a tour, you could visit Oxford, stay 2 nights, and on day 3 take the S3 bus to Woodstock to see that pretty town and Blenheim Palace, or take the bus westwards to see Burford, a much smaller but more typically "Cotswold" village. You could then take the direct coach link from Oxford to LHR for your flight to Dublin.

However, what I think would be the best idea, would be to stay 3 days in London and do a maximum of one day-trip by rail, whether to Oxford, Cambridge, York, Bath or Windsor, or a half-day to Hampton Court Palace. Otherwise you will miss the huge amount of things to see in London, and be frazzled from way too much travelling.

9. Re: Ideas for 9 day trip for England and Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29