We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains in europe

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
trains in europe

hello,

we are a family of three, 2 adults and 1 child aged 9, heading to europe in may 2014, and trying to figure out the best way to get around. i have been reading about trains in europe. the least expensive i have found in northern rail but i wonder why they are so much less then the rest. anyone?

also what is a good train to take from liverpool to glasgow to edinburgh to london? which wont break the bank either.

please help

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains in europe

www.nationalrail.co.uk is the information website for National Rail services England, Scotland and Wales. The train operators for the trip from Liverpool Lime Street to Glasgow Central are Northern Rail and Virgin Trains, but you can book the entire trip at www.virgintrains.co.uk

For the journey from Edinburgh Waverley to London King's Cross, book at www.eastcoast.co.uk Tickets go on sale about 12 weeks in advance, so keep an eye on the websites and look to book in the first few days of availability. Keep in mind that Advance tickets are very restricted, but if you can guarantee dates and times you will find bargains by booking those fares.

WIll you travel beyond the UK? If so and if you plan to travel from London to Brussels, Paris or beyond and want to take Eurostar then you should book soon at www.eurostar.com as once inexpensive fares are gone they won't return.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains in europe

13cfamily, "Europe" covers about 30-40 countries and thousands of miles. Without more specificity it's a meaningless question. There is a train travel forum in this website, ask there when you know your itinerary.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains in europe

Are you using 'heading to Europe' as the vague North American term meaning you are crossing to this side of the Atlantic, but really only visiting the UK or do you have specific destinations in mainland Europe ? If so, which places ?

Your mention 'northern rail' (without capitals). Is that Northern Rail, the UK company or are you referring to northern rail companies in the Scandinavian part of Europe ? Once you are more specific, people can help with appropriate advice

Edited: 08 February 2014, 09:06
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains in europe

Northern Rail? Is that Northern European rail networks, or Northern Rail the TOC in England operating regional services in Northern England?

People aren't mind readers...

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,394 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains in europe

Yes more information about your proposed itinerary please.

You talk about 'Europe', which stretches from Iceland to Turkey and from Norway to Portugal, but your only references concern one of its offshore islands.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains in europe

And just to reiterate what TP+ said you will not get the cheapest tickets available until 12 weeks prior to travel. So now only until around the 10th May. That is a general rule throughout Europe. If you want an idea of prices then check the first week of May. You can also get a Family railcard for the UK which will save you 1/3 on rail travel. http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trains in europe

I only need advise for UK, my bad that i put Europe. I do appreciate though you eagerness to post and point out my words are incorrect.

I am wondering about trains from (as you read above) Liverpool to Glasgow to Edinburgh to London. the train line i did read about was https://www.northernrail.org/ so yes Northern Rail with capitals.

i would appreciate information that will help me and not just criticize what i wrote, waste of time i think.

so please if you can just comment on this "Northern Rail" and if they are good or not .... or have another suggestion of a "TRAIN" that will help would be most appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trains in europe

thanks for your advice i will check into this much appreciated : RonaldC

Edited: 08 February 2014, 17:53
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trains in europe

To get from Liverpool to Glasgow you will need to take a Northern Rail train service from Liverpool Lime Street to Wigan or Preston, from where you can pick up a Virgin Trains service to Glasgow.

You can also get a Northern Rail train service to Warrington Central, and the walk across town (10-15 min walk) to Warrington Bank Quay, from where you can also get the same Virgin Trains service to Glasgow.

But, if you choose the route via Warrington I would recommend that you get the much faster East Midlands or First Transpennine services to Warrington.

Just book your ticket on www.virgintrains.co.uk and your ticket will be valid from Liverpool to Wigan/Preston or to Warrington.

It is slightly complicated to underdstand, even if you live in the UK.

I have just boarded a Northern Rail slow, stopping train to where I live in south Liverpool, and half the people on the train are going to Warrington or Manchester.

If the fools had read the departure board correctly they would have known to get the faster faster First Transpeninne Express train which left 3 minutes before this train.

Then they start moaning "why are we stopping at every stop!?".

Well, if you had read the departure board correctly you would be on the express train that gets to Manchester 20 mins quicker!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trains in europe

I'm surprised no-one has pointed you here >>>>>> www.seat61.com

That should help you. Don't fret about the train company - just use one of them to book your tickets.

Book about 12 weeks ahead and travel out of the busy "peak" times of day for cheaper tickets.

Travel from Glasgow QUEEN STREET station to Edinburgh.