We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from England to Paris

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel from England to Paris

I need help. We have a canal trip booked from Paris to Maastricht in Holland and wish to do a self drive trip visiting the South of England before we make our way to Paris. It appears easier and cheaper to book flights to and from the same city, e.g London, but I then have to work out the best way to get back to London and also the best way to get to Paris. We would like to go under the channel or across by ferry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We will be flying in from Perth Australia.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from England to Paris

I hope you are not considering taking a hire car from the UK to France. There are fairly strict rules about safety equipment that must be carried in vehicles in France, and hire cars may not have the necessaries for the cross Channel journey. As well, operating a right hand drive vehicle on French roads could be tricky.

If instead you are looking to travel from England to France or the Netherlands without the hire car, then look no further than www.eurostar.com where trains from Ebbsfleet will take you to Paris in two hours; if you wish to travel from Paris to London St Pancras the travel time will be two and a quarter hours from city centre to centre.

Eurostar tickets book as singles, so you may not need to return to London after your canal boat journey and visit to Paris. If you can book an open jaw ticket to return to PER from Paris you will save the air passenger duty that is levied on flights from UK airports, and that could be a considerable sum for two or more travellers.

Eurostar tickets book from about four or five months in advance, so if your canal boat excursion will be soon then book rail tickets sharpish.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,967 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from England to Paris

You can book Eurostar tickets 6 months in advance.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from England to Paris

As you are driving in the south of England before going to Paris, it may be worth considering catchin the Eurostar at Ebbsfleet in north Kent if you can return your hire car there. For the return from Maastricht to London you can get a train to Brussels, probably with a change at Liege, and get a Eurostar from there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from England to Paris

Have a look into booking an "open jaws" or "multi-city" ticket, flying into London and out of Paris. This often costs about the same as a return ticket and saves the cost and time of returning to the same city. If you can't see how to do this online, talk to a travel agent. Preferably a small local agent rather than one of the chains that infest shopping centres.

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from England to Paris

Thanks for your replies. We were planning on dropping the car off somewhere in England, then taking either the train or ferry to France. The hard part is in the timing. We have to meet the boat at noon, so I was hoping to not have to spend a night in France - just arrive as close to the quay as possible as close to noon as possible. Our tour is not until October, so I have a bit of time to plan.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 05:39
Essex
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from England to Paris

The problem with doing that, is it leaves you no wiggle room for contingencies.

If something goes awry with your cross-channel method, you are stuffed.

Eurostar has hold-ups. Ferries can be affected by adverse weather.

What happens if you do not make it to your cruise, because of such an event??

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from England to Paris

We have to meet the boat at noon, so I was hoping to not have to spend a night in France - just arrive as close to the quay as possible as close to noon as possible.

-----------

With respect that's just foolhardy, any number of events can happen to cause delay, sometimes very serious, and the penalty for a miss in your case would be extreme.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from England to Paris

What's Paris got to do with all this?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,967 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from England to Paris

OP is going on a river/canal cruise from Paris to Maastricht, then wants to hire a car and drive to England, then get back to Paris, obviously for a flight home.

Erm - open jaw ticket!? Why not fly into Paris and out of London!?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from England to Paris

Ah I think talk of catching a boat and the south coast has merged into one, but the boat leaves from Paris. Because its a canal boat and not a cruise.