We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card CHIP

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card CHIP

I will be traveling to Scotland & England from March 24 till March 31st. Could anyone please tell me more about the CHIP that is embedded in your credit card, that is now used a lot in Europe. My friend traveled to Amsterdam last year and had trouble paying for his dinner because his credit card was not chipped. I contacted my Citibank credit card & was told I was not eligible for it.

London
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card CHIP

Here's some background reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN

A credit card with magnetic swipe is still valid in the UK. Your difficulty is that use of magnetic swipe is so rare now that most store/restaurant staff only know chip/pin. You may need a manager/supervisor to process the transaction.

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card CHIP

I think all credit/debit cards issued by UK banks etc are chip n pin , ie when paying for goods services you place the card in the reader enter your pin and pay the amount entered by the shop or restaurant .

You can still swipe cards and then sign the receipt at some outlets but I haven't done this in years, the new thing with cards now is contact less payment, you just wave the card over the card reader and it debits the amount from your account but only for small purchases less than £15.

You should be OK as card readers still have the ability to swipe the card.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card CHIP

'In most of Europe'. Chip and PIN is used in the rest of the world except the US. I would argue with Citi that you should be able to be issued with a Chip and PIN card or threaten to move your account to a US bank that does (they do exist).

Otherwise, don't panic. You won't be able to use them at train stations but most restaurants and major shops will accept your cards

If you want to use your debit card for cash at ATMs then get a four digit PIN number from your bank and inform your card companies that you will be using the cards overseas

US
Level Contributor
92 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card CHIP

I just got chip and pin card from State Department Credit Union.

No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee.

You do not have to be a government employee there. All you need to do is to be a member of American consumer council, ($5 membership fee) then that membership makes you eligible to be the credit card member.

Here is LA times article. …latimes.com/2013/…la-tr-money-20130610

I did exactly that and got the card.

I know not having chip and pin card is not a huge issue, but I also had some similar experiences when I traveled in Europe and in Asia. It was just not convenient,

This card let you use both ways ( swiped in the US and chip and pin)

Not sure if you have a time though. I see your trip is in March.

5. Re: Credit Card CHIP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:19