We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London trip in May- flooding concerns

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London trip in May- flooding concerns

I'll be flying into Heathrow may 22nd and staying for 5 days then traveling to Liverpool by train then on to Manchester for a bit before flying to Dublin. Should I be concerned about the flooding in the areas I will be and in May?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,308 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
479 Reviews
from US$106.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,100 Reviews
from US$135.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from US$337.80*
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

The places you intend to visit are completely unaffected by flooding. It is extremely unlikely that this will have changed by May.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,457 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

May is 3 months away. We have no idea what the weather will be then, but hopefully the sun might come out.

None of those areas have been flooded anyway, it has been worse in the south west

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

Even the very large storm surge down the North Sea at the beginning of winter did not cause flooding in London itself (as it did about 60 years ago), thanks to the Thames Barrier. In May it may still be a bit soggy for some country walks, but the lilihood of flooding in cities is small.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

I can confirm that Manchester in general has not been subject to flooding. It is pretty unusual in this region and those case I can remember from further back, have been very local (a very few buildings) rather than on the scale that areas such as the Thames valley & Somerset levels have suffered recently.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

"it has been worse in the south west"

This isn't right. One small area of Somerset which is a natural flood-plain and accounts for less than 3% of the county of Somerset has had flooding that has lasted longer than usual. The rest of the South-west has not had any significant flooding, but some towns in coastal areas have suffered storm damage - storms happen in winter. Parts of the upper reaches of the Thames have also experienced flooding on the flood-plains - about 8000 homes in low-lying areas by the River were affected, but mostly in 2 or 3 small riverside towns east of Windsor and west of London.

Very sad for those involved but not Armageddon and it's not helpful for those people in the S-West who rely on tourist trade for visitors to get the wrong impression.

Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

Simple message - don't believe lurid media headlines.

In any case, UK weather is so variable, even saying what conditions will be like in a couple of days time is tricky, so trying to forecast May is in the realms of fantasy

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

I was watching an American news channel a couple of nights ago and the reporter was actually saying there'd been bad flooding in London. I was surprised and wondered if it'd put anyone off visiting, because they'd just taken it as fact.

Can't remember which channel it was, but obviously one that doesn't fact check, or has lazy researchers.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,830 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

There was some flooding around Putney

But that will probably have been a surge of water lasting a couple of hours

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

As a general rule if London or the home counties gets a bit of adverse weather such as an inch of snow the media say "the country is at a standstill". If Manchester gets a foot of snow then it hardly gets a mention. The British media are famous for getting hysterical over the weather. As earlier posts state some parts of the country have been affected by floods, some very badly. As to May the way our weather is anything could happen. I recall a cricket match being cancelled on June 3 due to snow. Have a nice trip.

10. Re: London trip in May- flooding concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 19:35