We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a fast answer, please!

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Need a fast answer, please!

A friend of mine will be traveling to the UK in the next few days, possibly tomorrow. She is a United States citizen and she is married to a citizen of the UK who is lviing in the UK. They can really only afford a one way ticket. They are desperate to be together again. She doesn't even have enough money to buy a ticket to Paris to "prove" she will be leaving the UK. She is planning to try to go with a one way ticket, enter the UK, then apply for a EEA2 visa. Will that work? Does anyone have any suggestions? Can she fly to the UK on a one way ticket and say she wants to apply for a EEA2 residence card?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

If she's got $400 now and her partner can send £150 a week then just wait for a fortnight or so. It's been 6 months - 2 weeks shouldn't be any hardship.

She'll be far more upset if she gets refused entry and then can't see her for a significantly longer period.

Less speed, more common sense.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,785 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

Agree. Tough situation - but much, much worse if she gets refused.

You've been a great friend to date - don't spoil it by getting this horribly wrong. Remind her that, however hard it may seem, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and hang in there. If the relationship is truly as special as it appears, then that will be enough to sustain them both.

Mike

Level Contributor
3,427 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

as you can show intention to leave, they'll let you in.....

---

They MAY. A cheap Eurostar ticket wont fool anyone and the make the situation worse by showing something is dodgy. They'll still ask about funds, and why you're going to Paris. Pulling a fast one on immigration officials is a route to disaster and expense

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

You say your friend is 'possibly flying tomorrow', tickets arent booked then? I can see you might be desperate to get rid of her but forget this hare brained scheme.

And as for whether she will manage to fool immigration, how the devil would we know? whatever we think will make no difference at all. I've said it before - getting to border control and saying 'well someone on TA said it would be OK' will not wash.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

Being gay myself I have met a wide range of gay men and women in London, including (alas) some who could have been clones of your friend and her partner, and this story has a horrible ring of deja-vu about it. I feel sorry for you because you've obviously had this dumped on you, but not so much for your friend. Why on earth is she letting you give her free board and lodging? Why has she not got herself a job so that she could contribute towards her keep and get the money together for her trip? Is this how she intends to carry on living when she is in the UK? I say all this because this is what an immigration officer will want to know. They will not only ask about how she intends to support herself while in the UK, they may also want to know what she does in the US, as they will want an idea of the kind of person she is (for example, broke people with no regular employment often signify a drug problem). The picture you have painted so far is not terribly promising.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
647 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

Is there a LBGT group in your area that can provide some advice? That is the social worker in me giving you advice.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:58
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

Not sure an LBGT group would be of much use. This is about a visitor to the UK who may not have a return ticket, no proof of income, and is very likely to be denied entry because of this.

UK Immigration have no concerns over their sexuality and so this is totally irrelevant

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
647 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

OK, my bad. She really need a return ticket then or most likely she will be denied entry.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

Thats the problem happymom. If she is going to need a visa then she has to apply for it before entering the country. She won't be able to apply for one when she arrives in the UK and will be turned away which will make the situation worse.

To the OP - please tell your friend not to try and blag her way into the UK, follow the right procedure and she will have a better chance of being allowed in. Winging it will be a disaster and not only will she be put on a plane back home (at her expense), she will probably be denied a visa in the future

20. Re: Need a fast answer, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:18