We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

Hi,

Would appreciate your advice please. I have a work course in Northwich, near Manchester, in June. I wouldlike to stay on for a few days to do some cycling or walking in a scenic area nearby. I would have to hire a bike. I have been thinking of the Yorkshire Dales-any recommendations on a good place to base myself for a few days? Or the Lake District? My preference would be for cycling and maybe one day of walking. Thanks in advance for advice.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.60*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from US$100.30*
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,826 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

I would go for the Yorkshire Dales as the Lake District is likely to be ram-packed with holiday makers in June, mostly in cars.

Besides much as I love the Lake District you get mostly close up views of the fells whereas cycling over the moors give wide open skies and panaromas

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

Another option could also be the Peak Distict. Will you have a car to get you from the Manchester area to your walking/cycling destination, or will you be relying on public transport?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

Backing up Dwnhill_bex I've seen several cycle hire places in the Peak District - here's a link to the National Park's website cycling section:

visitpeakdistrict.com/see-and-do/active-peak…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

The CTC website has lots of relevant information:

http://www.ctc.org.uk

including links to searching for hire shops:

www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/find-a-business/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

Thanks very much for the advice. I will be using public transport to get around. So:Peak District or Yorkshire Dales-which would you recommend? Where would you suggest as a good base for cycling?

6. Re: Walking or cycling holiday for a few days-Manchester area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18