We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

33 day self drive tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
33 day self drive tour

Hi

we are doing a 33 day self drive tour of england scotland and wales in June/July NOT visiting London or Cambridge.

Our plan is to fly into Manchester or Edinburgh and just take pot luck on accommodation.

The south west is a must (at least 3 nights in Cornwall.

Any siggestions of route and what to include would be appreciated

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 33 day self drive tour

Joe beat me to it!

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 33 day self drive tour

Off motorways, assume you'll do about 40mph, because that is the speed that most commercial vehicles (that's the one just in front of you that you can't overtake) will be going. Of course, at times you'll do 60, but at others you'll be doing between zero and 30.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 33 day self drive tour

I have no intention of trying to drive those distances having driven in the UK in the past. Just saying that hours behind the wheel is not a problem.

I know that York and bath are walkable and even Edinburgh is not that big. I've been there in the past but the good lady hasn't . She is an "Escape to the Country" tragic and wants to see as many of the places they show as she can

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 33 day self drive tour

Thanks everyone. I will buy a roadmap and a guidebook and plan a route that suits.

I'm really looking forward to another tour of the old country.

Cornwall is a must because we both have ancestors from the area.

With a surname like Pearce I must have.

Great grandad was from Cornwall and his wife from Bristol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 33 day self drive tour

I would look at spending longer than 3 nights in Cornwall. It takes a long time to drive down there.

The roads there are mostly small (no motorways) and getting around takes a long time. In many places roads are single track with passing places (I hope you are good at reversing). It's a lovely place though.

You might want to consider a trip down the rest of the West Country stopping in places like Dorset and Somerset - it'll break up the driving.

Also, Yorkshire (the countryside bits, not the Leeds-Bradford conurbation) is a lovely part of the world for moorland countryside and old buildings and villages but a long way from the West Country!

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 33 day self drive tour

There is a series of bed and breakfast guides by Alastair Sawday. I recommend you look at them on line and buy the one(s) best suited to your needs. It's a small investment that will reward you with excellent accommodation booked in advance, not mediocre places with accompanying tension and hassle because you left it until the last minute.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
48,039 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 33 day self drive tour

With the power of the internet at your fingertips, there is no reason at all to waste time lookin gfor accommodation on a day by day basis. In conjunction with a guide book, plan a route that suits what you want to see and where to go, and book accommodation that you like after having researched it, well in advance tog et good rates.

My advice would be to stay at each base for a minimum of three nights, and to devote at least a week to the south west region, which incluides Cornwall. It's a beautiful area.

18. Re: 33 day self drive tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:19