We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calais or London

alberta
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Calais or London

I will be with a friend in September in Canterbury. We are considering a day trip to Calais rather than a night in London. (We have both spent some time in London on prior trips). Wondering if this is worthwhile or if we are better off going to London. We will have just spent 4 days in Canterbury.

If we spend the night in London we will probably take in a show. Our flight leaves the next day from Heathrow. (Late afternoon).

Thank-you.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calais or London

Calais is IMO nice enough. It is definitely French, so if you want a "taste" of something different, go there.

Calais is not beautiful, having been knocked-about-a-bit in very may wars, result of being a strategic port. However, it surely is historic!

Good shops and restaurants, mad Flemish Belfry at the Town Hall, Burghers à la Rodin, Lace Museum, all good reasons to visit. I like Calais and it is great for a day or more....

BUT

It ultimately does not have as much to offer as London (and I LOVE London....)

2. Re: Calais or London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50