We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Fonthill
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Hi! I was hoping someone could tell me if there are any hotels that overlook the cruise port or are very close to it. We will be visiting from Canada near the end of October 2014. It looks like Novotel has a hotel near terminal....any tips for places to see, places to eat would be greatly appreciated....any tips at all. We are flying into Bristol.one night in Bristol...driving down to Southampton...perhaps a day trip to London??

Susie

Mentioned in this post
October
October
660 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
65,715 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

There are a few cruise terminals in Southampton. I've never stayed in a hotel from which you can see the ships, but I haven't stayed in every hotel!

The Novotel is quit eclose to two of the cruise terminals - can you tell us which one you will be leaving from? I suspect that if you have bulky luggage a short taxi ride will be the best idea in any case.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Hi there is the Devere Grand harbor which is 4star and there is also a Holiday Inn next door. There are restaurants within a 10-15 min walk at Town Quay and in the High Street. Southampton is not a very picturesque place as the waterfront is very much a working port area. You can walk the city walls and there are several interesting museums.

Mentioned in this post
Town Quay
Town Quay
68 Reviews
Southampton, UK
The High Street
The High Street
254 Reviews
Tenterden, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
65,715 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Yes, we have staye din the Grand Harbour, and it's not really walkable to the terminals if you have luggage. We were facing the water but could only see the ships from our room when they came in or out. We had a fantastic view of our ship the next morning from West Quay shopping centre!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
2,106 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

There's a Holiday Inn that probaby has the best views of the cruise port but since the ships dock in different places, there are unlikely to be any hotels from which you can see all of the ships. If you do decide to book at the Holiday Inn request a room high up in the building and facing the cruise port. There is also an Ibis and a Premier Inn not far away but they do not have such good views of the port. The latter has very good reviews. If you book and pay early you should get the best price.

A taxi from any of the hotels mentioned will cost £10 at the very maximum and probably a lot less than that.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 18:12
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Do you actually need a car? If the only places you are visiting are Southampton and London, a car is more of a hindrance than a help. Your priority will be a hotel with parking rather than a sea view.

You can go to London by train in 1hr 20 mins and I would recommend that highly over driving. It is also very easy to get the train from Bristol to Southampton. How long are you staying in Southampton?

If you need a car because you have a large amount of luggage, check your airline luggage policy. The small carriers who fly into Bristol may charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Fonthill
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Thank you so much for all the info....we are going on Rccl Quantum of the Seas and I will have to check what cruise terminal it leaves from. I don't think we will have too much luggage.....my hubby is laughing at me as I type this. We want to go on the London Eye....a couple of pubs....we only have three days.....wish it was longer.

Everyone's input is soooo appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
The London
The London
174 Reviews
Bridlington, UK
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

It is provisionially scheduled to dock at City Cruise terminal on November 2. If that is so, the De Vere or Holiday Inn would offer the best views. De Vere is more posh than the HI but reviews on TA are mixed. There are several pubs near both hotels, two of them very old (Red Lion in the High Street and the Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street)

www.southampton-pubs.co.uk/dukeofwellington/

southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/…

Mentioned in this post
The High Street
The High Street
254 Reviews
Tenterden, UK
The Duke of Tavistock
The Duke of Tavistock
256 Reviews
Tavistock, UK
The Wellington Hotel
The Wellington Hotel
584 Reviews
London, UK
Fonthill
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Thank you Mike!

Booking hotels very soon so your info is great!

Susie

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

So day 1 is your arriving from Bristol day ,when you won't get much done (where are you arriving from? if jet lagged please do not drive to Southampton). Also, collecting then returning the car will take up lots of time. It is Guy Fawkes week so when it is dark (at 5.30 pm-ish. It's winter) there will no doubt be a lot of fireworks, from private homes if not organised displays. Probably the city centre will contain a half-complete faux-alpine village which will eventually be a Christmas market, but you are a bit too early for it to be open I think. You are very near Westquay shopping centre (a mall) which you might like if you enjoy shopping.

Day 2 is visit to London day (you understand that London is 70 miles away? I know they sell cruises to foreigners as "London (Southampton)" as if Southampton is in London. It's not). The train from Southampton arrives at Waterloo station, approximately 2 minutes walk from the London Eye (which you will easily be able to see as you arrive. Look out of the left-hand train windows).

Day 3 is presumably your departing day, and you will probably have to be on your ship by early afternoon. So that gives you time to walk round the walls in Southampton, and fulfil your every pub fantasy in the Duke of Wellington as linked above. If there's time Tudor House museum is opposite this pub. I hesitate to recommend Sea City museum if you're going on a cruise (it's all about doom, death and drowning on the Titanic).

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Guy Fawkes Inn
Guy Fawkes Inn
1,510 Reviews
York, UK
Westquay
Westquay
336 Reviews
Southampton, UK
London
London
England, UK
The London
The London
174 Reviews
Bridlington, UK
The Duke of Tavistock
The Duke of Tavistock
256 Reviews
Tavistock, UK
The Wellington Hotel
The Wellington Hotel
584 Reviews
London, UK
Tudor House Museum
Tudor House Museum
212 Reviews
Worcester, UK
Leeds City Museum
Leeds City Museum
611 Reviews
Leeds, UK
Fonthill
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southampton. (Hotels nearest cruise port)

Hi! We do indeed have quite a long travel time...14 hours...from Southern Ontario but leaving from Buffalo to Newark and then on to Bristol. We are spending the arriving day and night in Bristol....for sure....renting a car from Bristol to Southampton. Your itinerary just about sums it up! We have a long trip...8 days at Sea to rest all the way back to New York....so our days can be quite busy. Very valuable info from you! Helps so much in planning.....Agree with you about the titAnic museum....haha....,seeing as we are taking a cruise to New York.

Mentioned in this post
Newark Park
Newark Park
297 Reviews
Ozleworth, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
York