We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

Hello all. New to this forum, but am a contributor on another. Am looking for some help planning a quick trip to the UK.

Some background - The year my grand daughter was born my partner and his son were in the UK for a family wedding. During their stay they travelled to Scotland and bottled some single malt for the baby's 18th birthday. Well this year our grandson was born, and my daughter-in-law and I are going to the same distillery to carry on the whiskey tradition for the little fellow :) (great excuse for my first trip to the UK :)

We only have 10 days and I would love to see as much as I possibly can without being too rushed.

We are planning on 3 days in London to start with, to do some time adjusting and to see as many of the tourist must sees in the limited time we have and I MUST got to Stonehenge

Then we have 7 days... I really want to see Edinburgh and Inverness areas (I'm a Diana Gabaldon - Outlander fan) and my DIL would like at least 1 night in York. The Lake District also looks wonderful ( geez I wish I had 10 weeks instead of 10 days... oh well, it will be a nice taster for a longer trip in the future)

We plan to take the train from London to either York or Manchester and hire a car from there for our exploring...

Can you please help me out with a suggested trip plan for our York/Scotland escape? The distillery we need to visit is between Edinburgh and Inverness so we can call in there on the day we travel between the 2 places

Our flight home leaves Heathrow at around 10pm so plan on making our way by train back to London in the afternoon of our last day.

Our budget is modest (for the UK, but huge compared to my Bali budgets) We are looking at staying in B&B's to get the personal touch and local knowledge.

Any help greatly appreciated

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

Maybe take the train to York and stay overnight, you don't need a car in York and it's not easy to park. Then continue by train to Edinburgh, for at least one overnight, again not a car friendly city, then hire a car to head north.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

York is two hours by train from London so if you take an early train you can have most of the day in York. When I used to drive to Scotland I liked the A1 then A68 route from York to Edinburgh because of the varied landscapes you go through. That will take most of one day.

In Inverness you will obviously be visiting Culloden Battlefield that features in your favourite books and a good visit it is too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

"Our budget is modest (for the UK, but huge compared to my Bali budgets) We are looking at staying in B&B's to get the personal touch and local knowledge."

You've not given the timing of your visit, but if you coincide with school holidays (England & Scotland have their main summer holidays at different times) you may have limited choices, so if possible book ahead. Tex Scott has a Google document for London budget hotels at:

https:/…

Dates of bank (public) holidays & links to school holidays:

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

I agree with previous posts suggesting the train to York and Edinburgh. Whether you return the car to Edinburgh and then take the train (or fly) back to Heathrow will depend in how long the Scottish part of your trip is likely to take.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

And if you do decide to drive the picturesque route suggested above, consider visiting Durham (1 hour north of York). You will pass the Angel of the North sculpture just south of Newcastle, worth a 20 minute stop (free to visit.). And consider another overnight in beautiful Northumberland to perhaps visit Alnwick or Bamburgh castles. And if the tide times are kind to you, visit Lindisfarne (Holy Island) before continuing north to Edinburgh.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

You are already pushed for time. I don't see what else we could add to your plan.

Day 1 - stagger round London jet lagged.

Day 2 - London

Day 3- half day trip to Stonehenge and rest of the day in London

Day 4 - train to York, day in York.

Day 5 - train to Edinburgh. Day in Edinburgh

Day 6 - drive to whisky place.

Day 7 - Inverness

Day 8 - one free day in Scotland (or have this day as day 5 in England)

Day 9 - fly home, preferably from Scotland. I would strongly advise against being over 300 miles from the airport on the day of your flight. A few leaves-on-the-line or other minor train disruption and you risk your flight. Get a flight home from Scotland (even if it's via Heathrow, your connection will then be protected).

You already have a packed and rushed trip. You don't have time for anything more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

Just add a detail about your return from Inverness. You said on the train and that is fine. But will just add that there are no Heathrow flights from Inverness anyhow. They go to London Luton or London Gatwick.

And you can do Edinburgh to Inverness with a distillery visit en route without staying an extra night on the way. That can be all done in one day.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 18:21
7. Re: Suggestions for a 10 day/9 night itiniery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18