We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Oxford, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

My son will celebrate his 16th birthday on holiday. I can only apply for an adult passport 2 weeks before his birthday according to the government website. Do we have to travel out using a child passport and back with an adult passport?? Help!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Getting an adult passport after having held a childs passport is exactly the same as renewing an adult passport. I'm not sure where you get two weeks from.

According to the Government website - follow this link https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport , click on the "if you've had a child passport before ..." link and you get this information:

"Renew or replace your adult passport

You can renew or replace your passport at any time. It costs £72.50 by post or £81.25 through the Post Office’s Passport Check & Send service. Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months.

How long it takes

It takes 3 weeks to get your passport - use a different service if you need your passport urgently. Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport."

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,517 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Why don't you just call the passport office instead of posting on Trip advisor.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

The two week thing is to do with when you apply. If you apply for a new passport at the age of 15 and six months, tick that he is under 16. The passport should come back with five years validity on it.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Not absolutely certain on this, so best to check with official body, not on a travel forum, but what is the expiry date on your child's passport? I have a feeling my daughter travelled on a child passport past the age of 16, think she was 17 when hers ran out and we renewed it. The passport should be valid until the expiry date, so if that is past the dates of your holiday, no worries.

Obviously, if your child doesn't already have a passport, then you will only need to apply for an adult one.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Correct. Passport validity is a given regardless of age. The difference is the length of validity. Apply for a passport at 15 and you can use it until it expires.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 17:03
6. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 21:35
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

Welcome to the Tripadvisor forums Suzeelew.

Not really sure why you have used your first post to dig up a topic that no-one has posted on for a year and berate someone for their answer. As you can see above, the OP's question was answered in detail.

8. Re: Do I need an adult p/port for child who turns 16 on holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2016, 06:17