We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Skye

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Skye

Hi all!

i love this web site BTW.

What a great resource from so many kind people.

OK - UK road trip in August. Driving to Isle of Skye. Looking on the web I see that the ferrie only runs in the summer. Is there a bridge? Is it possible to drive or is there a need to book the ferrie ahead of time?

Thank you ion advance for your help.

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Gateshead Millenium Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,766 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Skye

Yes there is a bridge, and a ferry. Not in the same place.

If you use the ferry you would have to book in August, especially with a car. You could go by the ferry and back via the bridge.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Skye

We will have a car and driving does seem to be the easiest. Thank you very much for your help.

cheers

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Skye

Have you ever considered doing a Google search for Isle of Skye? Or looking at a map before your journey? You can't miss that whacking great bridge. You really need to do so very basic research or think about whether independent travel is for you. There are very many things you need to consider, such as UK driving rules, driving on the other side(maybe?which Victoria are you from?), narrow roads, long distances between petrol stations etc. Consider if you want to contend with all of that.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:53
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Skye

I don't mean to be harsh but it is pretty scary to think of someone lose on the roads who cannot identify a bridge on a map or online. Have you considered a tour?

Edited: 30 March 2014, 22:02
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Skye

There are two ferries from the mainland to Skye - the little one to Kylerhea operates only in summer, as it is basically a nostalgia trip for those of us who remember how it used to be done. The big one runs all year round from Mallaig to Armadale, typically six times a day.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Skye

@ Akkarin

lol

I have driven thousands of miles/kms around Canada, USA and Mexico. I was only doing my due diligence. I read somewhere online that a ferry was needed and it had to be booked early.

But thank you for your energetic concern.

cheers

Edited: 31 March 2014, 06:24
Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Skye

Yes you should book the ferry in Advance.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle of Skye

That is NOT reassuring. Lots of posters here say things like "I have driven thousands of miles in country X". It is secret code for "I have no clue about driving in the UK and don't intend to do any research. I am just going to ignore all signs and be a danger to others". Don't be that person, who is a danger to all others.

These wide open roads with little traffic that you are imagining, they don't exist. That tank-sized car you plan on hiring will be really difficult to park, will be manual gear (stick shift), and you'll regret it on narrow country roads. It will take twice as long to get anywhere than you imagine. None of your accommodation will have free parking. You need to look up roundabouts. It's not going to be like driving in US or Canada and if you imagine it will you are in for a very stessful holiday.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isle of Skye

Driving in Scotland is relatively enjoyable and easy compared to England - there's not so much traffic. Though August will be peak season and you may find yourself in long trails of holiday vehicles in places. Roads are often narrow and bendy (nowhere to overtake when the truck in front is doing 35). But you can usually admire the gorgeous view while you dawdle along.

You might want to post a separate message for advice on the rest of you road trip. I'd say that 9 out of 10 people who post itineraries for UK road trips initially plan to travel *far* too many miles each day, with no allowances for dense traffic, twisty roads, or finding places to park etc. There may well be sections that'd be better done by train. Quite a few larger touristy towns in England are not very car friendly (busy, slow, nowhere to park), and trains can be a faster way of getting between them.

10. Re: Isle of Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:17