We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar day trip to Paris

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
eurostar day trip to Paris

I am trying to plan a day trip into Paris out of London. will be in London June 2014. Is there any opinion on which tour company to use for a guided tour? we only have one day and I will not miss going to Paris. Might be my only chance. I just don't want to try for too much if it is a waste of time. Eiffel Tower a must for me, is lunch on the tower a total waste of time? Several of the tours include a two course lunch. And, will it be impossible to enjoy going into the Louvre with only the one day to get around. The train GOES BACK TO London AT 7:15 pm.

Any advice is appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

'Is there any opinion on which tour company to use for a guided tour?' Yes, the Berni P tour company should be the business.

Book the train at www.eurostar.com *now* for the best choice of train times and fares. Buy either a carnet of Metro tickets or Mobilis, a one day pass good for unlimited use on the Metro and (few) buses in Paris.

www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php… Lines are identified by number and the direction of travel identified by the terminus station. Look for 'correspondence' for transfers and connections between lines and be prepared to climb stairs when using the Metro.

Paris is bursting at the seams with restos and cafes so you need not limit yourself to a meal at one of the Eiffel Tower restaurants. Look through the Eyewitness Guide, a Rough Guide or the Paris forum and choose a place where *you* like the look of the menu.

You may decide to try to visit the Louvre, but you may decide after a bit of research to visit the Musee d'Orsay or another smaller museum.

In short, book the train and then visit Paris on your terms rather than someone else's. A day trip will be a very brief taste, but one day in Paris is better than no days in Paris.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

there are several tour operators who can arrange this tour for you. You can search them in above corner box. Also you can contact some destination expert for London. They can help you

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

The only thing I would say is that, if the Tour Eiffel is a must-do for you, book it in advance if possible. The queues otherwise are long.

As well as using the Métro, the no. 42 bus will take you from Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar arrives, straight to Tour Eiffel. The journey should take less than an an hour, even taking into account finding the bus stop and waiting time. You can use a single t+ ticket or pay the driver.

No disrespect to poster no.2, but I think you need destination experts for Paris rather than London ;-) Fortunately Paris too has its own forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Pari…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

Paris also has Ho Ho buses, which, while price in any city, can be a good way to SEE (see, not visit) MUCH in a short space of time.

There are 2 HoHo

This has one pretty comprehensive, but short route - http://www.carsrouges.com/

This has several routes, and is exhaustive - http://www.paris.opentour.com/en/

This is new (wow, just found it) there are 3 HoHo! - http://eng.bigbustours.com/paris/home.html

This is just a circular bus-tour, not HoHo - foxity.com/paris-sightseeing-tour-by-bus/par…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:04
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

If I was only going to Paris for the day I would not want to waste it queuing and going up the Eiffel Tower. Go and look at it by all means (you get a good view of it from the Trocadero), but you can only really experience the ambiance and flavour of Paris at ground level. Places like the top of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre are fine for a visit of a few days or more, but you will experience virtually nothing of Paris itself if you waste time on them when you only have a few hours.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

To make this trip work, you have to catch the first train out of London (about 0540) and the last train back (usually 21:15 ish). Because of the time difference, the last train back to London still gets you back well before 11pm, so plenty of time to take Tube connections. You can catch up on your sleep on the train.

I don't think you have time for a long lunch if you only have a day, but most brasseries wll serve you a "plat" fairly quickly and there are some good, typically French brasseries directly opposite the Gare du Nord for an evening meal before you catch that last train.

Otherwise, a guidebook and the Metro will give you a much better tour of Paris than any organised route-march/bus trip.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

Thanks everyone for convincing us that we can do our own walking tour! I will post my photos upon returning from Paris! Au Revoir

8. Re: eurostar day trip to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:15