We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

katbar1
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

Hi, I am looking forward to visiting London soon - my question do I need to purchase train tickets ahead of my travel day to ensure a space on the train or can I purchase them when I arrive at the airport or at the train station . Also where would I go to to check the schedules for the airport trains?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

No you don't need to purchase in advance.

Do you know which airport you are arriving at? And where are you going to? There are a variety of options from each airport and which will be best will depend where you are going, on what day and time and how many of there are you?

katbar1
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

hi, we will be arriving in Heathrow at 8 pm in May and need to go to this area :

71 Eardley Crescent, Earls Court, London, England.

We need to fly out of the other airport leaving from our place of stay above. Flight is leaving at 4 pm

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

From Heathrow take the Piccadilly line tube to Earls Court. Your accommodation (I hesitate to call it a hotel) is just a short walk from the Warwick Road exit of the station. Journey time around 35 minutes depending on your arrival terminal.

To get back to Gatwick from the accommodation it would be better to walk 5 minutes to West Brompton station and take an Overground or Southern train to Clapham Junction where you should change and take any train going to Gatwick. Allow one hour although it shouldn't take that long.

katbar1
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

thank you very much for your help - we had booked an apartment there- is there a problem with that area? or the building?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

The Earl's Court area is a mix of some very high end houses and flats and some much more modest accommodation - Earl's Court Studios is in the latter category.

Eardley Crescent is between bus stops B and C here …tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…earls-court.pdf with the 74 handy towards central London and the 328 and C1 good for a quick trip to Kensington High Street. There is a very large Tesco at the junction of Warwick Road and West Cromwell Road but I much prefer the (equally large) Sainsbury's near Cromwell Hospital - again the 74 will take you there.

Will you travel to Gatwick at the weekend or during the week? If the former then please let us know as planned works on the Overground could mean no trains from West Brompton to Clapham Junction although the C3 from Earl's Court Road will take you to Clapham Junction for the train to LGW.

katbar1
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

We will be arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Tuesday from Gatwick - this will be in May.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

No Piccadilly line closures on any weekend in May and it's very rare that there are midweek engineering works on any rail lines so you should be fine.

8. Re: Trains from Heathrow and to Gatwick airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16