We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 10 UK day roadie....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
August 10 UK day roadie....

The better half and I are planning a 10 road trip around the UK. Rough draft to start: from Reading to Holyhead - ferry to Dublin 3 nights in Ireland (Dublin/Somewhere/Belfast). Then ferry Larne to Cairnryan. Up to John O'Groats. Then down the East coast of Scotand/England back to square one.

Never seen any of these cities before.

Q - If we MUST see ONE (!) site, what would it be.

I know you are full of great ideas. Don't hold back. We would like to hear from you.

cheers

B & T

Level Contributor
3,038 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

If you're renting a car, you probably won't be allowed to take it on the ferry. Besides which, the Republic of Ireland is a different country & not part of the UK.

10 days is a very very short time off what you have planned. The UK may look small but driving here is not like driving in Canada. Few people drive for pleasure here. The north of Scotland will be fine for pleasurable driving but once you hit Edinburgh/Glasgow south wards for the rest of the UK, expect roads that are often clogged. If you're lucky you may average 40 miles in an hour.

I think you need to decide what places you really really want to see rather than trying to cover both the UK and Republic of Ireland in ten days.

There's a good reason we don't really have the concept of road trips here: because it's no fun! I speak as someone who drives around the country for work.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

I'm sorry but I think you have to go right back to square one. What you have planned is virtually impossible and would be very gruelling, certainly not pleasurable. The driving from destination A to B will rarely be scenic and, on crowded roads in peak holiday time, likely to be much slower than you anticipate. Big chunks of your days will be spent en route to destinations giving you no time to enjoy them.

In your position I might spend 2 to 3 days in Oxford/the Cotswolds/Bath then a couple of days in the Peak District or Snowdonia, two more in the Lake District, two more perhaps in the Yorkshire Dales and then it's time to head back to base.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

You can't be serious! This is impossible in ten days

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

"Don't hold back."

Ok.

This takes the prize for the craziest plan yet this year. Even a cursory search of similar questions on this board would have revealed our thoughts on excessive driving in the UK. Your trip could fill a month let alone 10 days. And as stated, Dublin is not in the UK and you're unlikely to be be able to take your car on the ferry.

On a more positive note...get a decent guide book. Pick three places (small towns can be just as interesting as big cities, with easier access to countryside) that you'd really like to stay in. These can be as far apart as you wish in mainland UK. Stay in each for 3 nights. This will reduce your packing and unpacking and road time. You can still do day trips out.

Mike

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

Crazy plan! The advise you have been given above is good. Don't waste 10 days inside a car on busy roads.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

Sounds like a 'Top Gear' challenge to me, definitely not a holiday.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

You can either:

Drive to Heathrow, fly to Dublin, hire a car, spend a few days in Ireland, fly to Scotland, rinse and repeat then fly back to Heathrow;

or

skip Ireland, and spend a few days in 3 adjacent regions of the Uk.

Otherwise you will spend the entire holiday in a car.

The time of year that you come will also make a difference as to where you go. Temperature and daylight hours will shape your schedule as much what looks exciting in a guidebook.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

Madness indeed! with 10 days I would stick to something simple such as. 3-4 days in London, cheap flight to Edinburgh for maybe 3 nights (you could do a day trip out of the city), and then work your way back to London by train stopping at somewhere like York, Newcastle, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge for a night maybe.

Dublin is probably out of the question anyway with a hire car and I wouldn't even consider driving to John O'Groats.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

This seems a clear case of lack of appreciation between the wide open spaces, sedate driving of Canada and the frenetic, over-loaded UK roads, with an assumption that you can cruise hundreds of miles without effort. No way |

Spend several days in London, add on a couple of day trips (Oxford , Cambridge, Windsor or similar) and then train/fly to Edinburgh - preferablty train with a stop off for a day or two in York. Forget all the other ludicrous plans.

And have you actually got 10 days ? Are you counting your day of jet-lagged arrivel ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

From the answers to this question and your previous ones I hope you're getting a better idea of what could be practical in the time you have.

There's a pinned thread for trip report links at the top of the forum - I suggest you have a look at what some TAers have done in the last year or two - that may give you an idea or two that appeals and could work in your time frame.