We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 10 UK day roadie....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
August 10 UK day roadie....

The better half and I are planning a 10 road trip around the UK. Rough draft to start: from Reading to Holyhead - ferry to Dublin 3 nights in Ireland (Dublin/Somewhere/Belfast). Then ferry Larne to Cairnryan. Up to John O'Groats. Then down the East coast of Scotand/England back to square one.

Never seen any of these cities before.

Q - If we MUST see ONE (!) site, what would it be.

I know you are full of great ideas. Don't hold back. We would like to hear from you.

cheers

B & T

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

OK, thanx to all of my learned friends in the UK, I get it.

I will redo the plan. I new it would be a stretch, but had no idea it was so much,

Would driving over 2-3 days to the north of Scotland make better sense? Spending 2-3 days there and 2-3 to return?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

<<driving over 2-3 days to the north of Scotland >> from where?

If your interest is the north of Scotland why not start there - eg fly to Inverness, have a day there to recover from the jetlag, then pick up the car and have 8-9 days to tour. Or fly to Edinburgh, have a day or two there and then go north. No point in starting in London (or elsewhere in the UK) if that isn't where you want to spend your limited time.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

@ CheresX

We are landing in London and staying with friends for the month of August. hoped to see what we could while there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

Never seen any of these cities before.

----------

Nor will you on this trip as you'll be travelling too fast for the light to register on your eyes.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

"Would driving over 2-3 days to the north of Scotland make better sense? Spending 2-3 days there and 2-3 to return?"

Not really, assuming (and I think everyone is making this assumption) that you intend to hire a car and won't have use of one in the UK.

In which case, flying from Heathrow or Bristol to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness and then hiring a car to get around before flying back makes much more sense. Scotland is one part of the UK where you actually can enjoy rather than endure a driving trip and there is plenty to see to fill ten days.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

OK, so you have c10 days after staying with your friends in the London area. That being so, I'd still say that if your interest is Scotland and particularly the north it would be best to fly or get the train to a Scottish destination and then pick up the car - a quick search shows "advance" tickets from London to Edinburgh as low as £21 each(single) - if you travel by car the fuel alone is likely to cost more than two tickets as well as taking rather longer.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

The train London to Edinburgh takes little over 4hrs, flying just over an hour in the air plus check in time (which you can do in an hour really on domestic flights). Contemplating driving would be madness - at least 8hrs on the road I'd say plus the cost as fuel which as already pointed out will be more than the cost of trains or planes. Easyjet fly Gatwick to Edinburgh, I recently did a return flight booked only a few weeks in advance for £77. Or BA and Virgin fly from Heathrow, or BA from London City (usually quite expensive as it's aimed a business travelers!)

Advance purchase train tickets go on sale about 12 weeks before the date of travel. If you go on www.eastcoast.co.uk you can sign up to be e-mailed an alert when your preferred travel date goes on sale. It's worth checking the cost of first class as well as standard when you book as it can sometimes even be cheaper or for a few £ extra I'd say it's worth paying for that length of journey.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

Not sure you actually have to get all the way to the North of Scotland - the Highlands start just North of Glasgow/Edinburgh and places like the Trossachs or Oban and Mull are very beautiful - no need to schlep all the way up to Inverness or John o'groats.

Nothing wrong with driving to Edinburgh over 2-3 days - look at stops in the Peak District, York, Northumberland etc.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

John O'Groats is not that scenic - the west coast might be a better bet.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: August 10 UK day roadie....

I agree about JOG. It might be "famous" but not really worth the effort IMHO. Fine if you happen to be going to Orkney and you're going past it, but otherwise there are much nicer/prettier/more scenic places to visit in Scotland