We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Glasgow to London

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling from Glasgow to London

Hi i am heading to glasgow in june for a trip, and i have 3 days to travel from glasgow to london.

Are there any recommendations for me to go? i will like to avoid the more conventional methods like taking a straight train downward. And will like to have a more personal experience such as taking the local bus and trains.

Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$127.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$150.00*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Glasgow to London

Try the train to Carlisle, then through great scenery to Leeds. On to York, then to London.

Read about the famous Settle to Carlisle line.

Www.seat61.com

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,570 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Glasgow to London

Spend a day or two in Edinburgh (an hour from Glasgow) then take the sleeper train

You could go into the Highlands of Scotland then fly or take the sleeper train from Inverness to London

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Glasgow to London

Maybe you could travel by bus through the heart of the Lake District. Buses run from Carlisle or Penrith to Keswick, where you can join the hourly 555 service which runs all the way to Lancaster - one of the longest bus routes in the country, and usually double-decked so you get spectacular views.

http://www.golakes.co.uk/travel/by-bus.aspx

Another bus route you may be interested in is the Transpeak service from Manchester to Derby, right through the heart of the Peak District.

www.highpeakbuses.com/Pages/TransPeak.aspx

I can also recommend the train from Carlisle to Leeds, via the spectacular Settle-Carlisle Line.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Glasgow to London

Come down the west side of England,through the Lake District . Then at Warrington change to a train to Chester

Having looked round Chester take train down through the English- welsh border counties ( lovely scenery and small market towns.) Shrewsbury , Ludlow , Hereford are just a few places worth a stop and visit en route.

That train line takes you to Cardiff where you could pick up a train back to London

Edited: 03 April 2014, 10:30
5. Re: Travelling from Glasgow to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:17