We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
622 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

We're planning to take the train from Edinburgh to London but would like to stop along the way at a town where could we get off, walk around, have a bite to eat and then catch another train to London. Is that impossible? Any suggestions?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Although I've ridden this route a few times I don't recall any particularly pleasing small towns (and not all trains would stop at small towns anyway) but York is about midpoint, has a magnificent Minster and lots to see, and is about halfway. Its a very walkableand compact city. Durham also has a cathedral that to me is even more spectacular, but its a bit of a hike from the station.

And be aware that on many tickets--the less expensive ones--you can't break the journey up. If you have a railpass, of course, you're good to hop on and off as yo please.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
622 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Thanks for you quick reply. My thought is that if I have a destination town I would get two tickets. One from Edinburgh to the town and then another one from the town to London. I haven't really looked into the rail pass, but besides taking some public transportation around London, I think our only rail time will be the train from London to Edinburgh.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Sure, that would work as long as you plan for it. I really do recommend York--you can easily spend 2/3 hours walking on the medieval walls, visiting the Minster, strolling through the old Shambles shopping area, and its easy to continue on your way because onward service to London is very frequent. You'd almost surely find your time too short!

One problem with your plan is that the route to London, frankly, isn't the most scenic or well populated with charming small towns! As for the other larger places, well, I've never heard anything very promising about Grantham, Doncaster, Peterborough. . .

Edited: 04 April 2014, 01:44
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Alnmouth for Alnwick Castle

Durham

York

(Though of course the most wonderful city is Newcastle)

Bodrum City, Turkey
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Why not to have a break ın York and then one day to the wonderful North Yorkshıre Moors Natıonal Park I think there ıs a bus coastlıner 840 goıng to the Goathland whıch seems a lovely town subject to a famous serıals ın UK and have a tea there then come back to York They say there is a steam train goıng to Goathland but I dont know the route ıf you have an ınterest for the trains .

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

I would also post in the work forum and ask where you store your luggage, ISTR there is somewhere but it's not in the station,

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186346-i299-k70…

This earlier thread may be helpful to you. Loads of info. In it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Dang spell checker changed York to work. Oops. Think that's taken care of by link above anyway.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Two problems: small towns on the route might not have left luggage facilities at the station. Secondly, the small towns you pass through - Grantham, Newark, Retford, Northallerton - are scarcely worth the diversion. Without doubt, your best option is the large town of York. Left luggage facilities are available near, but not in, the station and will cost you £5 per bag.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
622 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small town on train route between Edinburgh and London

Excellent point about the luggage. I had not really thought of that. I would love to take a day trip out to a picturesque smaller town but we just have a few days in Britain and I've already booked accommodations in London. Will check the York forum. My hope is to whet my husband's appetite with this trip so he will be willing to do a longer one in a couple of years when we can really spend some time exploring more of the country.