We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest transportation

Athens, Greece
12 posts
Save Topic
cheapest transportation

ok so this might be a long and complicated message..

First of all, i am travelling from athens int. airport and my final destination is dundee. 1st of May

The almost direct flights i find are around >400e and my preferred limit is 300 maximum.

So the trip im thinking is ryanair to Lnd stansted which is around 200e w/return, then either a train or bus to dundee. that way the extra costs will be: a bus from stansted to victoria coach for 9pounds. then megabus from victoria coach to dundee for 14pounds. i have calculated the whoole trip cost to reach around 250e which makes me happy! my only kind of serious problem with that is the timetables, which are only convenient if i arrive at 1.00 after midnight very tired, still having to go to a hostel and having to be super fresh and relaxed for an early morning...

The other option i considered was again flight with ryanair to stansted, then a very confusing transport to kings cross(no idea how or how much and how inconvenient it will be if i have to use every means of transport there is..) and a train from kings cross to dundee for 50pounds. this will take me there around 8 in the afternoon with time to relax and freshen up (no, the tiredeness thing is not being cranky, it is very important for my trip). and the amount was around 330e.

PLEASE if anyone can help me by suggesting or evaluating or anyway they can i will be so greatful! even if you know a totally different way or a bargain or whatever. at this point i am considering anything. THANK U in advance!! chris

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest transportation

Easyjet fly from Athens to Edinburgh. You don't need to connect through London then take a lengthy bus ride.

From Edinburgh airport its a short bus ride to Inverkeithing for a train to Dundee (around 60 minutes) or a bus from Ferrytoll Park and Ride

www.easyjet.com

London
Level Contributor
9,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest transportation

If you need to be in Dundee, flying to Stansted is a horrid detour. How about Athens to Edinburgh (easyjet). Getting to Dundee from Edinburgh is so much easier than from STN.

Athens, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest transportation

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion! unfortunately athens to edinburgh even with easyjet is 425e w/return.. and this is without the costs of the bus. so >500 euros with no hostel and food expenses would be a huge no for me..

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
804 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest transportation

It depends on how much you value your time. A bus from Stansted to Dundee will be a long tiring slog (presumably overnight?).

Can you put a price on 12 hours sitting upright all night on a bus? I'd rather pay the extra and fly to Edinburgh.

Athens, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest transportation

i know, it is actually during the day mostly but its 12h so the ride goes until after midnight. i would also prefer to fly to edinburgh or even with a connection to dundee, but i dont have that kind of money..

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest transportation

a concern here is that you are obviously a bit strapped for cash, yet 'must' be in Dundee on 1st May 'super fresh and relaxed' , I hope this doesnt turn out to be a scam job offer. Take care, and good luck.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapest transportation

you can get a flight on KLM Athens to Edinburgh 1st May returning 6th May for €286 connecting via Schiphol Amsterdam. I am not sure what w/return means. Is this a one way trip? If not when do you need to return?

Edited: 06 April 2014, 13:46
Athens, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapest transportation

it is actually an audition i have on the 2nd for a school:) thank u very much! i sure hope everything goes well xD

Athens, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapest transportation

Ronaldo i wrote it meaning ''with return''. well i had in mind to return on the 4th of May, just because the ryanair flight i found was cheaper then. i wouldnt mind returning earlier. later than 4 would be a sacrifice in the sake of the price, because from monday i have classes. (id also have to pay for my longer stay there)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,623 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheapest transportation

Ok well your return date is also crucial. Ryanair fly Athens to Milan Bergamo leaves 06:15 arrives 07:55 for €51. They then have a flight to Manchester at 10:50 arriving at 11:55 for €37.

Obviously this is a non protected transfer but does give you nearly 3 hours cushion and I would be happy with that especially with only carry on luggage.

From MAN you can take a train direct to EDI at 1400 for £23 and another train to Dundee for £6.90 advance fares. Ok that might be a bit complicated. But would keep your outbound to around €130. I would have to see if I could route you back for under €120

Your problem is that this is a holiday weekend in the UK.