We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London pub suggestions for beer lovers

1 post
Save Topic
London pub suggestions for beer lovers

Please suggest some old authentic atmosphere British style pubs to please 4 first time travelers to London. One likes Barleywines, one likes Bourbon barrel aged stout, one likes Amber, and I prefer a strong Belgian quad or other sweet beers. We like a Scottish wee heavy that we get here in Colorado very much also. Good food on the menu and draft rather than bottled beers are preferred. Especially if offered in taster size so we can sample many beers. We are staying near the Tower of London, but will be site seeing many of the major attractions/museums. We only have 3 nights to spend in London. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Cheers, Wanda

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London pub suggestions for beer lovers

Those are pretty specific requirements, presumably what you drink at home ? I'm going to suggest that you follow the "when in Rome..." Mantra and forget about bourbon aged/Belgian quads.

There's two main beer schools in The UK. Th traditional cask conditioned real ales sold in good pubs, and the newer, keg, craft ales, frequently sold in bars that will remind you more of your brewpubs back in the US. Google "brewdog" for a good example of these.

One thing to emphasise : the vast amount of choice offered in every US brewpub I've ever been to will not be replicated in many traditional pubs. My local for instance has just three real ales on at any one time, all brewed locally and all under 3.4%. These are "session beers". The locals would rather drink a few pints of one well-kept real ale than mess around with halves of strong beer from different producers.

Having said all that, you may still wish to go with what you're used to - in which case, just head to one of the many craft beer places springing up over London often in well converted old buildings. Do bear in mind that these are not traditional pubs however. For the best of both worlds, try The Bree Louise next to Euston station or the always-crowded Market Porter next to Borough Market. My top tip however is The Royal Oak in Tabard Street, not far from the MP, where you can drink the full range of beers from the excellent Harvey's Brewery.

Mike

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,044 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London pub suggestions for beer lovers

JD Wetherspoon pubs usually have a good choice of UK style ales on offer. There is one just west and opposite the Tower of London.

You don;t give your dates, but a visit to a beer festival might be a good idea if ther eis one on when you visit. The Great british Beer Festival is the largest one in the UK and is usually held in early August, I believe in Kensington Olympia. But there are smaller festivals dotted around the rest of the year.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,944 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London pub suggestions for beer lovers

I was also going to suggest the Wetherspoons mentioned above. It's called the Liberty Bounds and I've been there a few times now.

m.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/the-liberty-bounds

Also by Euston station is the Euston Tap. They have a very big range of real ales and craft beers and ciders. Word of warning - it can get very busy in there as it's only a very small place. Sometimes you even struggle to get a standing place in the outside covered area!

http://www.eustontap.com/

And I always head for the Coal Hole on the corner of the Savoy Theatre on the Strand which is easy to get using the #15 bus from Tower Hill. (Try and go on one of the old Routemaster buses!).

nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecoalholestrandlondon/

But I'm sure the local London experts will suggest many more places you can check out.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London pub suggestions for beer lovers

I believe that Samuel Smiths have a large following in the US with it's bottled beers..

merchantduvin.com/brew-samuel-smith-salute.p…

Sams have around 25 - 30 ( 37 in the greater London Area ) within easy reach of central London. Some of the London pubs are maybe what you are looking for. If you go on the link below and click on "home" then "pub map" you can see where all the pubs are. One of my hobbies was to visit and record every Sam Smiths pub in the Country. Next to the Pub map button is "photos" click on it and well over 1000 photos in thumbnails will pop up, click on any thumbnail and it will go to full size with a map below showing where the pub is located. If you care to signup to the forum (free) then you can see well over 5000 photos inside as well as outside can be viewed under each pub thread. The forum below is not the brewery forum but a independent one run and used in the main by people who like Sam Smiths beers

http://samsmiths.info/

Edited: 07 April 2014, 14:48
5. Re: London pub suggestions for beer lovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:17