We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train tickets from London to Edinburgh

San Francisco
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
train tickets from London to Edinburgh

I'm hoping for some advice as to how and when to buy train tickets for June 17th, returning the 20th from London to Edinburgh. We will be 2 adult and 2 kids, 6&8. I have been reading various posts all night and think I need to buy directly from the train provider website, but is there only one that goes that route? Do I need to buy a railcard for the cheapest price and is that worth it and how do I buy one? Is now the best time to buy it, or should I wait?

Any advice would greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train tickets from London to Edinburgh

Rail tickets go on sale about 12 weeks in advance, so you will need to book on that busy route now.

EastCoast are offering discounts for family bookings; Advance returns for all four are available for £171 for your travel dates. A Family & Friends Railcard, which you may buy on line and collect in London (plan to collect your rail tickets as well, it takes just a minute) costs £30, and with it the return fare will drop to about £131, plus the cost of the Railcard.

www.eastcoast.co.uk and www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk are the websites to use. Book as soon as you can as fares will rise as time passes.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train tickets from London to Edinburgh

I don't know if you can buy a railcard online for collection at a station, however if you download and print the application form it will take only a few minutes for the card to be issued at a station.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train tickets from London to Edinburgh

Thanks so much for the help.

4. Re: train tickets from London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:15