We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day drive

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 day drive

Hello, we will be travelling to London in June. We have hired a car for 8 nights and would like to visit Bath on the first night before heading to Edinburgh. I understand the roads and traffic are quite different to Australia so we know that we won't be able to do or see everything... we are just looking for a few nice towns to stop and visit in between Bath and Edinburgh. Any suggestions would be welcome? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day drive

If you can bear it not to go to Bath then your journey to Edinburgh would be much more straightforward. There may be a whole host of guide books pushing Bath as the place to go first and I just don't get it.

I would head from London up the A1M to Stamford and then on to York and Yorkshire and from there then on to Edinburgh and I would spend quite a few days getting there too.

If you definitely want to do Bath then it makes sense to travel up the western side of the UK to places such as Stratford upon Avon with all the Shakespeare sights to visit and then on to Chester with its lovely old Tudor buildings and Roman history too.

Loads of other possibles too.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 11:43
Mentioned in this post
The Shakespeare
The Shakespeare
883 Reviews
London, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Stamford
Stamford
Lincolnshire, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day drive

If you want to go to Bath first (is that from Heathrow?) and want to stay there you may want to pick somewhere with parking - otherwise you may have an expensive overnight car park to add in. There is a Park and Ride, so the alternative would be to use that and stay outside the centre.

Are your 8 days all for the drive or do you want to take some of them for a stay in Edinburgh? If you have the time I'd travel through the Wye valley and then north along the Welsh border (lovely scenery, interesting small towns etc) there's a few options, but Ludlow, Leominster, Bishop's Castle are some) then to Chester. Spend at least half a day in the city (see post #1) before moving on.

I won't add more at this stage in case you want more of an A to B for the journey to have most of the time in Edinburgh.

Mentioned in this post
York Park & Ride
York Park & Ride
457 Reviews
York, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Ludlow
Ludlow
Shropshire, UK
Leominster
Leominster
Herefordshire, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day drive

Hi sorry it has taken me so long to come back. We are arriving to Gatwick. I have booked one night in Bath just so we have something for the first night. That said it can be cancelled. I think that driving straight up stopping on the way is the way to go also but i just thought my parents would enjoy Bath - and yes it does appear in loads of travel books and they have had friends talk about it etc.

So my new question is...if we were to cancel the Bath trip and head straight up can you please suggest 3 or 4 beautiful destinations to stop the night. and places to visit for a stroll etc. I will have my elderly parents with me so I have booked a "high" car so we might be able to see over a few fences without them having to get out all the time....well that is the theory anyway. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
The Bath Hotel
The Bath Hotel
268 Reviews
Lynmouth, UK
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day drive

So you're still planning the high risk/dangerous idea of driving in a jet lagged, tired state straight off a flight ?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day drive

"So you're still planning the high risk/dangerous idea of driving in a jet lagged, tired state straight off a flight ?"

Lots of people do it without injuring themselves or others. Up to the OP to know how they would feel and whether they think it might be a risk.

They may well be neither jet lagged nor tired.

Time of day of arrival would help as it may give people some help in suggesting how far would be sensible to travel.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 08:58
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,436 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day drive

You're right, Paul.

The OP may be flying in short haul from somewhere in Europe and may be well rested. However, I have never known anyone fly in from Australasia without soem tiredness and jet lag effect, so for anyone doing such a long flight, even with a stopover, the advice not to drive on arrival stands, in my view.

Mentioned in this post
Australasia
Australasia
3,707 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 day drive

Could not agree more. I guess I should have explained we are arriving from rome so it is only a short flight. We are taking a 15 days cruise in Europe before arriving in uk so I am hoping all signs of jet lag are well and truely over. Arriving approx 11am to uk. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 day drive

Just also on this...we would never put our lives or anyone else's live in danger. If we are tired from driving or anything else we stop. That really goes without saying in my book. Thanks again.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 day drive

If you really want to see Scotland, then just get a plane ortrain straight there. If you do want to take a few days, then possible stops may be near Oxford (Blenheim palace?), Kenilworth or Warwick castles, Stamford (burghley house) and nearby villages in Rutland. The a1 then takes you up to Yorkshire. You could also pad through the peak district (Chatsworth). Yorkshire is nice, and then you go up to Northumberland (lindisfarne, castle's). That s enough to keep you for longer than you have, so choose a few of them. Remember that UK roads can be busy and busy!

Mentioned in this post
Chatsworth Hotel
Chatsworth Hotel
777 Reviews
Worthing, UK
Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace
5,820 Reviews
Woodstock, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Kenilworth
Kenilworth
Warwickshire, UK
Warwick
Warwick
Warwickshire, UK
Stamford
Stamford
Lincolnshire, UK
Rutland
Rutland
England, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Northumberland
Northumberland
England, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,436 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 day drive

>>>Could not agree more. I guess I should have explained we are arriving from rome so it is only a short flight. We are taking a 15 days cruise in Europe before arriving in uk so I am hoping all signs of jet lag are well and truely over. Arriving approx 11am to uk. Thank you.<<<

No problem. It just stops everyone jumping to conclusions based on your avatar if you mention where you are flying from!

To be honest, though, if you want to do justice to driving up to Edinburgh and back, you will probably need more than 8 days! There are some beautiful parts of England on the way, apart from those mentione dby Martin C, such as York itself, the Lake District, or the Borders area of Scotland, and Dumfries and Galloway is not without its charms!

With a couple of overnight stops, and allowing some time to actually see places rather than simply travelling through them, it's easy to spend three or four days on a one way drive!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
York
York