We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail card disc on advance fares

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Rail card disc on advance fares

Understand that we can buy the Fn F railcard only after we land in the UK (and not from overseas). But to get the best fares I would like to book advance tickets as early as possible. Question : Can I buy the advance fares with the rail card discount without first purchasing the rail card ? Am I correct in assuming that the railcard is required  during the journey and not while booking? Plan to collect all the pre booked tickets AND buy the railcard at our first stop ie Bath. Will this be ok?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail card disc on advance fares

Yes, that's correct!

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail card disc on advance fares

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. While booking I see that some of the operators offer etickets for Advance fares eg Virgin etc. Any advise on whether to opt for etickets or physically collect from the machines at the station?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail card disc on advance fares

That's down to your preference. Be aware that if picking up from a machine you will need to put the card you used to purchase them into the machine, so would need to be a card that will work in a chip and pin machine with a four digit numerical pin number.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail card disc on advance fares

Thx for the note on the chip n pin cards C0rnc0b - will use one of those.. Will purchase etickets where available (spend less time at the stations) and collect the rest from the machines on arrival.

5. Re: Rail card disc on advance fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:16