We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

Hi there everyone,

just want to check an itinerary where my missus will be going on this 1st May to London. Will be transiting to Amsterdam on 11th and flying off from Amsterdam on 16th May

Day 1 arriving at gatwick

-Rest. will be staying at canary wharf

Day 2

-Tower of london

-Thames

-Westminister Abbey

Day 3(Sat)

-Portobello Market

Kensington Palace

Albert Hall

Science Museum

V&A Museum

Rembrandt Hotel

Harrods

Day 4

Buckingham Palace

St James Park

War Room

Day 5

Trafalgar Square

London city walk along the Strands, Cheapside

St Paul's Cathedral

Bankside

Catch a Play

Day 6 (or on a rainy day)

British Museum

West End

Day 7

British Lib

Tate Britain

Day 8

Stonehenge

Oxford

Day 9 (Shopping or a day trip to Marylebone)

Tottenham Street

Charing Cross Road

Chinatown

Day 10

Fly to Amsterdam from Southend. Will be staying near Jordaan

Day 11

Nieuwe Kerk

Royal Palace

Red Light District Walk

Oude Kerk

Waterlooplein Market

Rembrandthuis Museum

Canal boat trip

Day12

Anne Frank House

stroll in the Jordaan neighborhood

Rijksmuseum

Van Gough Museum

FOAM museum of photography

Centraal Station

Oosterdok

Vondelpark

Heineken Brewery

Day13

Delft Excursion

Day14

Keukenhof Gardens

Day15

Flying back from Schiphol

would truly appreciate any feedback. also saw that there will be london tube strike imminent? How will that affect transportation since we will be using the jubilee line

rgds

William

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

On day 3 there is a number of places that are all fairly near each other (though to walk between each will be a lot of walking) - Portobello Market, Kensington Palace, Albert Hall, Science Museum, V&A Museum, Rembrandt Hotel, Harrods

There is more than enough here to fill a day (if you add the Natural History Museum which is right next to the Science Museum and V&A Museum).

So just bear in mind day 3 is very tight and some things may have to be dropped.

p.s. Some people could spend all day in just ONE of the museums, so if you do plan to visit all 3 museums it will have to be a quick visit to each to fit everything in on the day.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

On day 9 you say "a day trip to Marylebone"

What particular do you want to see in Marylebone?

While there are some tourist things in the area (Madame Tussauds for example) few people actually say they are going to visit Marylebone as a place.

So why Marylebone?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

A number of London tourist attractions are near to each other so it makes sense to try to see them on the same day (though you have done a pretty good job of grouping things).

But for example Westminster Abbey is fairly near Buckingham Palace, St James Park and the War Room, but you have Westminster Abbey on day 2, and Buckingham palace etc, on day 4.

Maybe move Westminster Abbey to day 4. Trafalgar Square could also be done on day 4 as it is nearby.

Also maybe move St Pauls to day 2 as it is near Tower of London and it fills the space vacated by Westminster Abbey on day 2?

You can also see Tower Bridge on day 2 as it is next to Tower of London.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

Here is a self guided walk around the Westminster / Whitehall area and it includes some of the things on your list that should all probably be done on the same day (probably day 4).

londontoolkit.com/walks/whitehall_walk_westm…

You can of course do as much or as little of the walk as you like, and do it in any order.

This walk covers: Houses of Parliament / Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, War Room, St James Park, Trafalgar Square etc, so a lot of what is already on day 4 of you trip..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

Great thx! did not expect a reply so fast.

IF btw the 3 museums, which would u advice to be the most worthwhile to visit. Yes, i did read abt the Natural History Museum, but not sure if anthing exciting there?

rgds

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

Not going for Madam Tussauds. Heard that it is touristy, pricey etc

For Marylebone, i am thinking

Cabbages & Frock Market

Wallace Collection

St Marylebone’s Garden of Rest

Regent’s Park

and perhaps some window shopping. do u think it is a worthwhile trip?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

terrific. I totally missed out on the National Gallery. will reshuffle my itinerary. Truly appreciate it :)

Any tips or ideas how best to make a day trip to stonehenge and oxford?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

I am generally not in favour of these day trips out of London that combine a number of different places.

I have seen people on here doing day trips to say Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge and all it means is that you spend an hour or so at each place and hours on the coach.

So I would NOT suggest doing Oxford AND Stonehenge on the same day as they are a fair distance apart.

Maybe combine Stonehenge with Salisbury as they are nearby or maybe Stonehenge and Bath as they are also nearby. Getting to Stonehenge is not that easy as it is in a totally isolated place miles from anywhere.

You can probably find other question on TripAdvisor about how to get there by public transport.

If you want to go to Oxford try to make that a day trip on its own and spend the whole day there.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

There are a fair number of interesting things to see in the Marylebone area, I have just never heard anyone say they were going to Marylebone before.

You can read more about Marylebone here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marylebone

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time London / Amsterdam - itinerary check

The Natural History Museum is one of the great museums in the world. It is estimated there are about 70 millions items in the museum including many historic items such as those collected by Charles Darwin.

There are many dinosaur skeletons, plus even a full size whale.

I also happen to think the building it is in is also one of the finest buildings in London as well.

More here

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_London

As you know there are 3 museums next to each other - Natural History, Science, and Victoria and Albert.

They are all very different and it is impossible to say which one a person should visit, it depends on your main interests.

If you are visiting this area as part of one day, so don't have that long, then go for an hour in each (at least go inside each museum, however briefly)

To be honest you could EASILY spend a day (or more) in each museum.

This whole area, that also contains the Albert Hall and Albert memorial, was built by Queen Victoria as a dedication to her husband Prince Albert after he died. The area used to be called Albertopolis.

You can read more on the area here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albertopolis