We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-days UK road trip

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5-days UK road trip

Hi there,

My friend and I would like to have a road trip during 18 May - 22 May but we have completely no idea how to start, would like to seek help from every experts here. We are departing from Chislehurst and would like to go north. Along the way, we wish to see the natures more than the cities. We only have sherwood and edinburgh (last stop) in mind. Can anyone help please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-days UK road trip

Is that five days from Chislehurst to Edinburgh and back again all in five days. Well it will, I suggest, take you at least two days to get there if you want to stop and see anything at all and then two days to get back again.

Anyhow have a look at the A68 route from Darlington to Edinburgh. That section of the route takes in some interesting landscapes. From London to Yorkshire is not very exciting and is just a matter of using the A1 to get there . I would stop somewhere in Yorkshire for my first night.

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-days UK road trip

Hi, yes, is all in 5 days.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-days UK road trip

You could come back on the West coast. Shortly after you reach England you have the Lake District on your right. A little further south you have Pendle Hill to your left. Carry on down till you reach the Midlands then you can divert into the Cotswolds.

On the way up after Nottingham you could head towards Bakewell before going back onto the M1 north.

With such a short time though most of your travel must be on motorways and the big A roads with occasional diversions. 18-22 May is Sunday to Thursday so you miss the worst of the traffic.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-days UK road trip

It's just an idea, but you might be better served by taking the train one way - either to or from Edinburgh, it wouldn't matter which. I am presuming you are hiring a car? You would need to book your seats on the train in advance though, as the East Coast trains are very busy even off-peak. I am saying this because there are many speed restrictions in place on the M1 at the moment and getting anywhere fast is a nightmare, even on a Sunday. If you do drive both ways, and prefer countryside, then aim to get to Northumberland on the way up and have a day there - Bamburgh and Seahouses are good places to stop off. Or near York is also a good half way with plenty to see there.

Someone has already suggested coming back via the West side of England where you could have a quick look at the beautiful Lake District. But be warned, it will be very busy, as it is popular with coach parties and retired people! It's wrong to assume that just because the UK is relatively small that you can get to places in a short time. If you are off the main motorways and roads it can take ages and you end up seeing nothing much, which is a shame. The train ride up to Edinburgh is spectacular from Berwick-on Tweed onwards as it runs right along the dramatic coast. The road isn't half as scenic. From London it takes about 5-6 hours to Edinburgh.

5. Re: 5-days UK road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17