We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scones in London - not formal tea

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Scones in London - not formal tea

I'm in London for a month and crave a scone and cream. When I visited London as a kid, scones were ubiquitous -- all the museums had crappy cafes run by old ladies and only had about three things on the menu, including scones and cream. I was a picky eater as a kid, and literally lived on scones every time I was in London. Now all the cafes are fancy and run by outside operations (like Paul), and scones are off the menu. I haven't seen a proper scone in any of my recent visits here.

I'm not looking to do any sort of formal tea experience, because I'm here by myself with a toddler while my husband is in the office all day. I'm looking for a casual place where I stand in line to order (no table service) and either eat in or take away. Ideas?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$105.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.40*
US$333.80
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

I've had cream tea (ie scone, jam, clotted cream) in the National Gallery tea room (not the restaurant) recently.

Or try somewhere like Patisserie Valerie or a department store cafe.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 09:23
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

You can also buy them ready filled with jam and cream - often in packs of two - from supermarkets, if you fancy a picnic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

You can buy scones, clotted cream and jam in any supermarket.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,407 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

If it was me I'd head for a market stall. A farmers market even better because the homemade ones are by far the best. WI shop or market anywhere? You look for WI market on Google to see which is convenient to you.

Greggs isn't bad but my biggest surprise was Morrisons supermarket do a scone & tea in their cafes and it was good for a mass produced one.

WI = Womens Institute do a great line in home made stuff. Markets are usually once a week, sometime they have a little shop that opens half the day.

Could you and your toddler make some? You can't beat them warm from the oven. Dead easy. Or buy a scone mix.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 17:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

The only WI Market in London appears to be in Barnes and runs for 2 hours on a Friday morning (wimarkets.co.uk/cgi-bin/DBApps/Markets.cgi…)

I can second the suggestion of the NG tea room (the one on the ground floor on the side closest to St Martin in the Fields). I can't say I've noticed a scone shortage in London, though.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

With a toddler, if you are going to eat in, why on earth would you want to stand in line to order?

Amother vote for Patisserie Valerie.

7. Re: Scones in London - not formal tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17