We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport around the UK

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport around the UK

I am heading to the UK for 5 weeks in August (flying into Gatwick Airport). I will be in London for a minimum of a week, as well as Brighton & various other towns along the south coast. I am unsure whether to get an Oyster card, visitors Oyster card, travel card or paper tickets. Please help! My head is spinning from reading & I am still stuck in making a decision!

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport around the UK

It would help if you gave some indication of how you wiill spend your time in London. Walking between locations, buses to see surroundings or underground. Will you be going to one or two places each day (museum, art gallery etc) and spending most of the day there or continually going from one location to another.

Will you be travelling to outer Zones in London eg Hampton Court Palace, or staying in the central area. Where is your hotel ?

How will you be travelling to Brighton and thence to other places along the coast ?

Edited: 16 May 2014, 14:47
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport around the UK

Are you "I" or "we"?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport around the UK

It is just me traveling, I am staying in central London & will only be visiting different locations once per day on average.

I will travel to Brighton either train or bus, most probably whatever the cheapest option is.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 22:14
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport around the UK

Don't get a visitor's Oyster card.

Pick up an Oyster card once you're here. You may want to load a 7-day zones 1-2 travel card on to it plus some extra "pay as you go" cash.

This is good for public transport in London but not for train journeys to Brighton or other locations.

You'll be best off buying train tickets separately once you know your travel plans. Some are cheapest bought in advance, others you can buy on the day. A general rule of thumb is that longer journeys (say, Bath) are best bought in advance for cheaper prices but shorter journeys can be bought on the day. When you know where you want to go, let us know and we can advise. Look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for ideas.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport around the UK

Thank you all of your posts have been very helpful :)

6. Re: Public transport around the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:17