We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Holiday Itinerary

Bateau Bay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive Holiday Itinerary

My wife and I are planning a 4 week driving holiday around the UK in June. We will be in London for 7 nights. Car pick up/drop off point is Marble Arch. We would like to see as much as we can with St Andrews, Cornwall and The Cotswolds included and do not mind getting off the busy roads.We are looking for ideas/suggestions for travel route and stopovers. Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Holiday Itinerary

To save repeating a lot of suggestions can I suggest you take a read of this thread which was about driving London to Edinburgh - St Andrews is about 90minuntes beyond Edinburgh so a lot of the same applies. Cornwall is in the opposite direction so you'd have to factor that in too! My suggestion would be London-Cornwall then up west coast and back down the east, or vice versa with Cornwall at the end.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k746…

It's a big country despite how small it looks on a map so I suggest you do a bit more research and think about the type of places you want to see....castles, stately homes, big cities, hills and mountains....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Holiday Itinerary

I'll start by suggesting that you have a look at trip reports for ideas - plenty linked in the thread stickied at the top of this forum. IIRC there's a Scottish golf one which includes St Andrews with non-golf ideas too.

With 4 weeks touring (I'm assuming that the London 7 nights is additional), I'd be inclined to pick a few bases and stay for a few nights at each, to allow time to explore the area, rather than your overnights being "stopovers". Cornwall, for example - you could pick more than one location and then visit local historic houses, gardens, beaches, do walks etc - it depends on your interests.

Most areas have an official tourism website that is in the format visitplace - a search should find these. There are websites for the various national parks linked via:

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/

Each UK country has its own heritage agency who look after some publicly owned historic properties etc (eg many castles): English Heritage, Cadw (Wales), Historic Scotland - I'm guessing you're not going to Northern Ireland. There's also the two National Trusts (one for Scotland, one for the rest) who own many historic buildings and large amounts of countryside.

If you post more details of where you want to go and what sort of things you want to see people may be able to help with local areas and travel within them.

3. Re: Self Drive Holiday Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:21