We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camden to Gatwick Airport

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camden to Gatwick Airport

I'm flying out of London at 11:00am to go to Amsterdam on a Sunday morning. I've researched and researched the best/cheapest ways to get to the airport, and most the sites say that public transport (trains etc) is a bad idea. However I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a cab.

Is there any suggestions of ways we can get there & how much it will cost? Coaches or something?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

<< most the sites say that public transport (trains etc) is a bad idea.>>

really?? you must be looking at some strange sites.

only sensible way is bus or tube from Camden to St Pancras then train to Gatwick

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

'I've researched and researched the best/cheapest ways to get to the airport, and most the sites say that public transport (trains etc) is a bad idea.' You must have been researching in a parallel universe, as those in the know here will say that travelling by rail should be one's first choice.

'However I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a cab.' Nor should you. The road journey from Camden to Gatwick could take as long as the flight to AMS.

On what specific date are you flying from Gatwick? Planned works may mean a timetable change for the First Capital Connect service to the airport, so let us know more.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

Get yourself to St Pancras station and a one way ticket on FCC trains to Gatwick is £7.40

How to get to St Pancras depends where you are in Camden. Aim for the 0742 train.

Caveat - there may be the occasional Sunday when that train isn't running and will start at Blackfriars or London Bridge instead

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

We're flying out on August 24th

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

Thanks a lot dzug1 that was most helpful :)

The 2 Sites I was looking at that said trains were a bad idea, said it's probably not the best idea on Monday mornings in peak hour. My mistake.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

As far as I can see there are no works that would affect your journey on that date - but you need to check nearer the time as they are not confirmed yet

The 25th (Monday) is a public holiday - so no peak hour worries then anyway

Edited: 21 May 2014, 07:28
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

24 August is a Sunday during Bank Holiday weekend. The First Capital Connect website shows planned works through 21 August, but the Thameslink weekend engineering works page shows no changes to the London to Gatiwck services for that day, at least not yet.

If trains won't cross London from St Pancras to London Bridge then they will probably run from Blackfriars via Elephant & Castle. In any event the train is a much better option than travelling by road no matter how you reach the mainline station for depature.

8. Re: Camden to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:15