We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

Hi all

Please can someone help me with a 5 day route starting from Wroxham. Will we make it to Great Yarmouth, and if so, when should we start heading back? We are beginners and have the boat Monday - Friday which can pass under all bridges. Any help is highly appreciated, we set sail Monday 9th June!!

Many thanks

Becca

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gateshead Millenium Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

You can certainly get to Great Yarmouth and back - it's25miles each way, so at 4 mph you could do it in 6-7 hours non stop. The route is entirely along the River Bure so you can't really get lost. A more important question is why you would want to go to GY? The scenery past Acle Bridge is entirely unremarkable and most boats do it at the hgihest possible speed. The tidal effect will also be felt but should not cause you any problems. If it were me, I would confine myself to north of Acle Bridge and have a leisurely five days in very good scenery. Start out by going upstream to Coltishall where there are moorings beside a large grassy area and two pubs which serve food. This will give you all experience of handling the boat in easy conditions. Then return to Wroxham and explore the middle River Bure and its tributaries of the Ant and Thurne with various side trips possible. Be sure to include Hickling Broad, the largest of the Broads. Please remember to obey the speed limits at all times. If you are creating a breaking wash, you are going too fast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

This is really helpful thank you! I just expected GM to take longer than that so was using it as a length post if that makes sense. I will give it a miss if you think this isn't worth visiting? I'm not sure where would be good to go on a 5 day trip, but what you have mentioned sounds good. Could you possibly give me a bit of detail of where to set to each day, I have no concept of time!! Many thanks again :-)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

I actually think it's better not to have a set route. Each person and crew have their own ideas about the best things to do and the pace at which to do things. Many, like me, like to drop in at the pubs along the way, most of whom rely on boaters for their livelihood. And there are little places to explore, like Stalham (which, by the way, has a Tesco supermarket if you need to top up on provisions), In the same area Sutton Staithe has a pub/restaurant in pleasant surroundings. Horning, Potter Heigham and Coltishall, as I mentioned before, Horsey windpump, Hickling and Winterton-on-Sea are some other possibilities.

By all means go to GY if you want to. I'm biased because I spent many childhood holidays there and the present place bears little resemblance to that place I once knew. Wherever you wander, make sure you can get back in time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

Ah I see, lots of good suggestions there. Thank you so much this really is helpful for us!

5. Re: Wroxham to Great Yarmouth route - norfolk broads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:16