We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Week Trip

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Cost of Week Trip

I am planning to spend a week in UK around Christmas time. Of course my air travel will have been paid. I will not rent a car since I don't have a UK driver's license. But of course will need lodging, meals and taxi or railway funds and spending money. I will have an American credit card also. I am trying to get a ball park figure so I can save for the trip. I am a student in the US so inexpensive lodging is desired. I will be in the Manchester area.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Week Trip

Impossible to say! We have no idea how long you want to stay, what you want to see or where you want to travel.

Since many things will be closed over Christmas (and no public transport from early evening on24th December until the morning of 26th Dec) you could easily sit in your room watching tv and eating pot noodles so you won't spend much at all. This wouldn't be a very fun holiday (unless you really love tv repeats) but it would be cheap.

Why do you want to visit Manchester? There must be a reason. This reason almost certainly costs money. Add that to your calculations. Get a guide book. Make a list of all the places you want to visit. Check if any are open over Christmas (and if they are suitable in bad weather). Check the prices. Also check online the prices of rail/bus travel to the mystery places you want to see. Then add it all up.

A US driving licence is fine for driving in the UK. Do you really believe tourists have to take a driving test in every country before they hire a car? Of course not!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,441 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Week Trip

You don't need a UK driving licence to hire a car in the UK!

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Week Trip

Your question.. though technically you haven't asked a question .. is impossible to answer. You don't say what you will be doing, what you want to spend money on, or where you want to travel to. You don't say whether you are content drinking tap water and eating supermarket bread and cheese, or whether champagne in Michelin star restaurants is more your thing. Will you spend yoru time walking locally, or travelling to distant places. Re-read your own post as if I were asking about a visit to the US.. it's unanswerable.

Prices for almost anything can be found on the internet.. use Google. A pint of beer in a pub costs £3 or so, depending.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Week Trip

You don't need a UK licence to hire a car but you may not be old enough to do so if you are a student. You are saying 'around Christmas time' - when exactly would this be? it makes a difference, eating out Xmas Day and Boxing Day is very expensive, back to the pot noodles.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Week Trip

Is a week 7 full days? 7 nights? Including or excluding travel days? Or is your question something else (I agree with the above that it reads more like a statement, but I assumed the title was the question).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Week Trip

I will be in the Manchester area.

-------

Why? Seriously.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Week Trip

I was thinking about arriving on December Sat 20 morning and leaving Sat December 27 morning. (So I would not need lodging on the 27th. I am a nontraditional student meaning I am on a budget and don't need or what the most expensive lodging. I am an adult and do not want to rent a car and drive. Sorry it wasn't a question. How much will I be spending (without counting air travel) for six days in the UK?

London
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Week Trip

I will be in the Manchester area.

-------

Why? Seriously.

According to one of the OP's other posts, they'll be staying in Oldham (not the first destination that springs to mind when you think winter holiday).

Their posting history does, however, make interesting, if confusing, reading: asking whether we only use coins in the UK, how to identify the different value currency etc in one, yet on another thread they mention having been to London before. Odd that they didn't handle or even see any cash then.

'Naïve from Nebraska' , troll or have I been spending too much time on TA and no longer think anything slightly off-the-wall is genuine?

Edited: 09 June 2014, 20:06
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Oldham
Oldham
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Week Trip

How much will I be spending (without counting air travel) for six days in the UK?

=======

£1,273.51p

england
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Week Trip

This will give you an idea of a hotel chain where pre-booking gets you good value premierinn.com/en/…oldham-central You could possibly find cheaper.

You can look at meal prices on their website but you'll be able to get cheaper meals elsewhere except on Christmas Day and maybe Boxing day.

Without knowing which airport you'll fly into (Manchester?) can't comment on costs of getting to/from the airport.

I hope that gives you a starting point to consider if you really want to do this, oldham probably wouldn't be my choice of place for a Christmas visit unless I had family nearby.

I wouldn't assume troll, just someone whose first language isn't English.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 20:28
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Oldham
Oldham
Greater Manchester, UK
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
334 Reviews
London, UK