We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time camping....any suggestions on location

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
first time camping....any suggestions on location

Hello, we are looking to go camping with our two children (3&7) end of July. I have been looking at the lakes and emailed a few to see if there's availability as its the school hols(there is) but was just wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap site? We don't want a "holiday camp" just needs to have showers, toilets and a park or stream, something to keep the kids entertained. If there are shops or family friendly pubs near by then that would be a bonus. I don't want to drive too far in case we don't like camping. We're in Liverpool so 2/3 hour drive would be good. Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Chester
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Hi,

Have a look at Hollows farm near Grange, Borrowdale.

I think it is basic but in a nice spot.

Keith. ( non- camper)

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Hello,

We usually stay on adult only sites in our Motorhome, but we stayed here over May bank holiday, no not in the Lakes, but within your 3 hour drive radius

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp…

Tiny shop onsite so do shopping in Pickering, a mile away. 2 pubs which do food within yards.

Flamingoland and Eden Camp, could go to Whitby on the steam train, Pickering Castle, Rievaulx Abbey etc....... are all close.

The website link is to UKcampsite which is a good site to use to find camp sites and the reviews tend to be honest and helpful, so if the Pickering one is not for you, do a search on there. Good luck.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Whoops, sorry, wrong link, this is where we stayed .PS take note of the more recent reviews as it is under new ownership

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp…

Edited: 10 June 2014, 15:29
england
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Thanks for your replies. I had a quick look at them but have a feeling that website is going to be my new TA :-) thank you both. Looks like it may be The Lakes as there is more options there.

england
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

if you decide you don't like camping YHA's now have family rooms and might be an alternative. If you post in a specifc lakes forum you may get more useful replies - I was going to suggest Cornwall as the answer to your thread title :)

Edited: 12 June 2014, 06:58
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Park Farm Campsite near Bodium is a very good family site in a lovely location.

http://www.parkfarmcamping.co.uk/prices.htm

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Park farm looks perfect with the climbing frame etc but maybe a little too far for our first attempt, likewise Cornwall. If it wasn't the school hols I would definitely consider yha if we didn't like camping but think they may be full this time of year. Definitely considering Cornwall as its a place ive always wanted to visit. Thank you.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

I just wondered how you are doing this - Are you going and buying all the equipment (like we did), giving it a go (like we did) or are you borrowing equipment from a friend? We tried camping when the kids were little, didn't enjoy it and it was an expensive mistake! Can you borrow some stuff and do a trial run maybe just for one night, very local to you. Other thing that came to my mind were "Bunkhouses". Similar idea to camping but in a building. Use the power of google to find one in the area you want, but to give you the idea we have stayed on this site with our campervan. I had a peek in one of the bunkhouse rooms and it looked really cosy.

http://www.peakpub.co.uk/camping/

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

The enjoyable way to do it is with a campervan! Though of course that's rather more expensive than a tent.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time camping....any suggestions on location

Well, Martin C, I wonder if we have ever shared a companionable wave when on the road?

We're off to North Yorks again this weekend, I'll look out for you!