We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway Travel

Chawton
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway Travel

AVOID. Rip-off merchants. Thy advertised a vacation to Malta on their website priced at £499pp for the dates & departure airport I desired but when I called to book I was quoted £1,290 for 2 people & a luggage charge of £50. When I went to school 499x2+50 = £1,048 not £1,290. The booking agent explained the variance on "flight costs might have changed" ignoring the fact that £499 was the price advertised on their website at that time.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,695 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway Travel

You weren't ripped off.

They gave you a quote which was different to what you were expecting based on their advertising (did they genuinely say 'at £499pp' rather than 'FROM £499pp? Small words, big difference) and you chose not to proceed.

Chawton
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway Travel

Dear Wirewiper, no, I wasn't ripped off as I chose not to pay £252 (@20%) above their advertised price. The holiday remains advertised n Broadway's website at £499 not "from £499". Attempting to charge a premium above an advertised price is sharp practice at best attempted fraud at worst.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway Travel

The holiday remains advertised n Broadway's website at £499 not "from £499".

====

Got a URL for that?

All the prices I see on their web page say "fr £xxx"

For example it says "£399pp - Fantastic Luxury 5* Malta Break" and then in a green box underneath "fr £399""

it also says "Additional Charges - Baggage, Transfers, & Credit/Debit card charges where applicable. Based on 2 sharing. Book by - ASAP - Limited availability.>>>>Prices are from<<<< and subject to availability."

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway Travel

There is currently a holiday to Malta advertised on their website for £399. However there is a large list of surcharges/taxes etc further down the page as is this "Prices are from and subject to availability."

Hardly a rip off. Just standard practice. The headline figure is rarely the figure you end up paying.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,771 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway Travel

I agree. I've lost count of the number of adverts I've seen quoting a headline price, with 'from' in smaller letters or underneath, and an even smaller list of additional charges. It's not unique to this company, in fact, I can't recall any other provider that doesn't use the same type of advertising.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway Travel

I noticed first

a) " £499 was the price advertised on their website" -.book online and you pay less, this is normal but you saw the price online and phoned an office to book which is always a bit more from most budget companies and most that aren't.

b) "departure airport I desired" depending on where that is there is usually a surcharge for all but the major London ones.

Most prices are negotiable if you can be flexible. I use a major high street travel agent and always bargain. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. But I don't expect an online discount through the shop.

England, United...
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway Travel

You decided not to book it, so how can you describe this as " fraud"?

Burgess Hill...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadway Travel

We have taken 2 holidays with Broadway Travel this year. One to Rhodes and the other Portugal. Both trips were very good value and yes it was a little more expensive than the original price but we wanted different flying times and a few other little differences which made the holiday more expensive. Overall they were good value. Usually I book flights and hotels independently but could not get either holiday any cheaper in this instance. We were very happy with the service. So well done Broadway Travel

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadway Travel

We have just come back from a holiday to Costa Teguise, Lanzarote (All-inclusive). All travel (Flights, Transfers & Hotel) was organised by Broadway Travel. As always we looked at Tripadvisor for useful comments and tips regarding tour operators etc, and as always we found people complaining. I must say that I can recommend Broadway Travel 100% for their personal service (on the phone), quick quotes and good value for money !. We were on a limited budget and had been searching the internet for days if not weeks for a good holiday, but to no avail; everything we looked at was beyond our budge, so just before we gave up and waited 'til next year, we emailed Broadway travel with our requirements and budget. Within minutes we had a response with a suggestion, which was a couple of hundred pounds more than we had budgeted but included a 20kg luggage allowance per passenger, flying with a well established airline (Thompson). If we had selected a budget airline, we would have had to spend more than three times the extra cost given by Broadway Travel. One of the main attraction in booking with them is that is a low deposit per passenger and you are given over three months to pay the balance, so if you like us are on a tight budget then Broadway Travel is certainly what you are looking for... no complains and well done Broadway Travel !, we had an excellent holiday with no fuss at all!. ... And we'll certainly use you again soon !

Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadway Travel

I used this company a couple of years ago and everything was fine. You can always expect to pay a 'little' more than the advertised price unless you are fortunate enough to be able to travel on the exact dates and from the same airport as described. I personally would use them again. I'm sure you can find something wrong with any company if you try hard enough.