We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lame gift or good idea

Palmyra, Virginia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Lame gift or good idea

Will be doing a 9 day Ireland tour prior to visiting Burghfield for a family reunion July 4. Want to take a small, lightweight gift that is easily packable for our hosts for the reunion. A local shop carries lovely tea towels with our state on it with towns labelled. Is this a lame gift or good idea? Any other ideas out there? Thanks in advance!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lame gift or good idea

Nice thought. Tea towels are indeed the ideal "token" present. If there's a bloke in the house and you have a half decent local brewery he'd probably appreciate a couple of bottles of that rather more. A good conversation starter too "One each, on me". "Ok, I'll buy you one back down the local". You might never see them again...

Mike

Palmyra, Virginia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lame gift or good idea

Thanks Mike, wish we could do that too, but have a luggage limit on our Ireland tour so whatever we select has to take up just a small amount of room and be lugged all over Ireland for 9 days before making it to the intended recipients.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lame gift or good idea

I am sure your hosts will not expect a gift and will be pleased witj tea towels. There is only one thing you shouldn't take and that is American chocolate. The vast majority of people in Europe dislike it. Otherwise, I am sure any gift will be appreciated. It is not uncommon for a UK kitchen to have a drawer full of holiday tea towels.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lame gift or good idea

Sue R, I'd be happy with the tea towel - we inherited one from Australia that featured wild flowers, rather exotic to our eyes and fascinating (worn out long ago) - so one with pictures/maps etc from your area would be good and as you say easily packed and carried.

Palmyra, Virginia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lame gift or good idea

Tea towel it is - thanks for the reassurance that it's not a "lame gift"!

England, United...
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lame gift or good idea

I think it's a lovely idea... Thoughtful, original to your part of the world, and I'm sure no-one would expect you to carry heavy or expensive gifts all this way.

Our village church has a range of such items which feature pictures of village scenes, and they are easy to carry, or to post (mail) to friends overseas.

Your hosts will be pleased at your thoughtfulness ... Have a safe enjoyable trip..

regards

Mondial

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lame gift or good idea

A calendar with local pictures is another idea. Make sure it's for 2015 though!

Palmyra, Virginia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lame gift or good idea

Thank you for your kind wishes Mondial! And perhaps I can find a 2015 calendar to supplement the tea towel. Great suggestion!

england
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lame gift or good idea

it's Ok. I'd probably be more interested in a sample of local food, even if I didn't like it (cookies?). But actually when we were in Jacksonville the chocolate covered popcorn was good so I wouldn't say all brits dislike all american chocolate, Didn't like the local brew though.

10. Re: Lame gift or good idea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 06:16