We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage

Crawley, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Luggage

does anyone use a wheeled holdall instead of suitcase if so are they any good for long haul flights i.e usa

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage

What do you mean by 'any good'?

Not sure what impact the distance of the flight would have.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage

Hi Leigh and welcome to the forums.

I agree with C0rnc0b that you need to be a bit more specific.

It would also be better if you put your question on the Air Travel forum, see below.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

For what it is worth, I have used a holdall without wheels which went into the aircraft hold on a flight to USA. No problem except clothes were a bit more creased than if I had used a hard suitcase.

I have used a hard suitcase with wheels that went into the hold and again no problem.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob

PS I have asked Tripadvisor to remove your duplicate posting which I assume was a mistake that often happens when using a mobile phone.

Crawley, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage

Sorry first time on here, should have been more specific, I have always used suitcases but have been looking at holdalls, are they lighter, as robust and can you get as much in the larger ones compared to cases,

PS, I will also check out air travel forum thanks for replies.

Leigh

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage

Hi Leigh again,

This is almost impossible to answer.

Robustness and Capacity- I have a 125 litre (I think) holdall from Blacks it is very robust (and waterproof) but no wheels.

I have a carry-on suitcase that measures 56cm x36cm 20.5 cm = 40 litre (approx.) it has wheels but doesn't seem robust enough to take rough handling by baggage handlers and other cases being put on top.

Weight - They both weigh 1.5 Kg approx.

Cost - The holdall should have cost about £100 but was in a sale when one particular Blacks was closing down. The carry-on case was £30 from Asda, they have bigger ones (look at Asda on line).

If I am going on the sort of holiday where space was important (eg. sailing holiday on a yacht) I take the holdall as it can be folded up. Otherwise I take a suitcase as it is easier to see what I have packed and where it is!

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Bob

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,788 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage

They used to be about 50/50 with suitcases and wheeled holdalls. Now I seldom see them. You need to pack carefully so anything that could get broken would need to be in a tupaware box or something. But then that adds to the weight.

I used one on a trip where I was off on a jungle tour and they asked for these as they would squish up in the minibus. It handled fine and had no problems with packing - but then it wasn't going long haul just a quick flight each way.

You can get wheeled backpacks just to confuse the issue.

Crawley, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage

Thanks Bob all down to preference I guess.

regards

Leigh

Crawley, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage

Thanks Sue

Back to the drawing board , decisions decisions

8. Re: Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16