We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your can't miss UK experience?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What is your can't miss UK experience?

My friend and I have 53 days in a car, mid-July to early-September, with no set itinerary. We have our first night's accommodation booked, we know where we're starting and where we're finishing, and we'll be following our noses the rest of the time.

Now, before you all say it, yes, we do know we're travelling in peak tourist season. Yes, we know not pre-booking all of our accommodation leaves us in a 'take what you can get' situation. But we don't want to lock ourselves into a set timetable. We want to be able to say, "We love it here, let's stay a few days!" Heck, it's an adventure!

We will have already had a week in Paris, and two nights in London. Our first night on the road will be just outside Canterbury. Our last night will be in Cambridge. We want to see as much of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as we can.

So here's my question. If you had seven weeks, what would be top of your list to go and see or do again? Anything. From an obscure pub in the middle of nowhere, to an "all the tourists go here" that exceeded your expectations.

Our interests include, but aren't limited to, history, scenery, old buildings, etc. I'm into anything to do with horse racing, my friend's into anything to do with the Beatles. Neither of us are interested in clubbing or the nightlife.

Have at it!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Edinburgh
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Cavern Club
Historic Sites, Bars & Clubs
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,723 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

I would drive the coastal run from Devon to Somerset across the Exmoor Coast. A39 from Appledore to Taunton for stunning scenery and a huge variety of it.

Tiny coves and fishing harbours, steeply wooded river valleys, stunning moorland and coastal views looking across the channel to Wales. Small thatched villages with tea rooms, ancient pubs then past castles and the beautiful Quantocks.

Lots of National Trust properties on the way from cliff hydrolic railway with stunning views to castles and stately homes. The steepest hill and highest cliffs in England. Unique breed of ponies and the moors should be covered in purple heather at that time of year.

Appledore, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin, Lynton/Lynmouth, Porlock & Porlock Weir, Minehead, Dunster are all villages worth stopping at. Excellent home cooked food and drink along the way. Accommodation everywhere.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 11:35
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,723 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

Oh and the smallest church in England if you are up for a walk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

I second the Northumberland Coast I would also include Durham cathedral.

My favourite part of the UK ( other than London) is the Pembrokeshire Coast in west Wales. Here's just one of the beautiful beaches

visitpembrokeshire.com/explore-pembrokeshire…

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

This gets good reviews

http://fab4tours.co.uk/

Obscure non touristy place?

Whitehaven is on the West Coast of Cumbria and is very close to the Lake District and has very strong historical connections with USA.

Here's a warts an all website,

http://www.whitehaven.org.uk/

A lot of rum was imported into Whitehaven

http://www.rumstory.co.uk/

And Whitehaven has come under attack by the US Navy

whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/johnpaulj…

It is a working town , and bears some scars of industrialisation as industry is declining but is well worth an hour or two if you intend to be in that part of the Lake District, also look at Cockermouth and Was-dale and Eskdale

Whitehaven was one of the earliest towns set up in a grid pattern and contains some examples of Georgian Architecture. There are family connections between George Washingtons family and Whitehaven

This is a great place to eat

zestwhitehaven.com/page/….U6a9U3y9KSM

The western side of the Lake District tends to be quieter and has much to commend it.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 12:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Out of hundreds of possibles I will keep it simple and pick just one

16. Re: What is your can't miss UK experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16