We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

We are travelling to the UK within the next few weeks and would like to know people's thoughts and advice regarding the best means of converting Australian dollars to British pounds.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks

Mari

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

Use a debit card at an ATM to get cash from your account. Use a credit card for major purchases. Tell your bank you are travelling. Dont bring large wadges of cash.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

Try and get a credit card that gives best rates for use overseas .

Check out what your card provider charges

Also find out which is the best option when completing the transaction at point of sale.

You may be asked by the sales assistant do you want the purchase to be made in GBP or AUD.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

Thankyou both for the advice, there are some travel money card options we're considering also.

Much appreciated.

England
Level Contributor
279 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

I usually get my currency from the Post Office or Bureau de Change prior to travel. The only exception was Peru - I took US Dollars and found that it was inconvenient to try and change them (my fault I should have got my act together quicker) so I used the ATMs - obviously I made sure that I didn't compromise my PIN and best part of it - no fees for overseas withdrawals. Strange enough all ATMs had an English language option and of course the armed guards came in handy...

5. Re: Best option/method to convert AUD TO GBP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17