We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

Hello,

I would like to get some opinions about my day trip on 22 July, 2014 to Stonehenge and Bath via rail. Below is my plan.

Lv London Waterloo 8:20 AM Ar Salisbury 9:43 AM

Lv Salisbury 10:00 AM via Stonehenge Tours bus Arr Stonehenge 10:33 AM

About 1 hour visiting Stonehenge

Lv Stonehenge 11:33 AM Ar Salisbury 12:11 PM

Lv Salisbury Station 12:40 PM Ar Bath 1:34 PM

Bath Mayor Tour at 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

or

Recorded Bath Walking Tour using app

Then

Roman Bath / Dinner at a local eatery

Lv Bath 6:43 PM Ar London Paddington 8:14 PM

The above would assume everything would be on time with no delays. I wouldn't know what to do if there was. Not sure if I can take alternate trains or I have to buy new tickets.

The alternate to doing the above is taking a traditional tour using EvanEvans or Premium etc. Cost wise, between Rail and Tour are pretty much the same, within a few Pounds from each other. Pros of train is freedom and flexibility, Pros for taking tour all set up for you, 1 price and it would be nice to hear commentary along the way to both places.

Decisions! decisions!

Thanks for any input that would make this decision easier.

Mike

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

One hour at Stonehenge is insufficient you now need two with the new set up, and since you don't see anything of Salisbury you may as well skip all that backtracking and take a return train to Bath and then take a Mad Max or similar tour to Stonehenge from there. I think they do afternoon or morning tours.

Your timing also had you skipping lunch I think and perhaps evening meal (can't check that as typing this on a mobile)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

You might as well take the evans evans tour and cut out all the stress and "faff" especially if you only have a day for this venture and especially if there is not a lot of difference in cost, anyway...

Even a mad-max tour from tath to stonehenge will entail some backtracking....

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

If your train arrives into Bath on time you should make the Mayor's walking tour, but that will eat up 2 hours.

You will then have another 2.5 hours before your train back to London to explore the city, which would probably mean back-tracking on what you've already seen on the Mayor's tour.

Much better, in my opinion, would be to devise your own walking tour of Bath. Afterall, you will have 5 hours to explore the city and will be able to do it at your own pace. You'll also be able to stop off at some point to visit one of Bath's excellent little real pubs, such as the Raven, Salamander, Old Green Tree etc for a pint and a bite to eat. ;-)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

>>> Pros of train is freedom and flexibility <<<

That 'freedom and flexibility' if you are trying to do this all in one day is illusory. The reason the tour companies package it is because it is difficult to orgainse relying on public transport.

As you say yourself:

>>> The above would assume everything would be on time with no delays. I wouldn't know what to do if there was <<<

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

Thanks everyone for the replies...

So the Train it out....

How about renting a car? I'm staying at the HI Express @Swiss Cottage. I would be using National/Europcar, I have to take Tube to pick up car, possibly at Heathrow and drive. It would be a lot of driving for 1 day, but I can't see any other way of doing it.

...or maybe I should just give in and do the EvanEvans and get it over with!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

That would be an even more exhausting day to be honest. The motorways around Heathrow can resemble the 202 during rush hour and the hassle and cost from getting to the car rental lots from Swiss Cottage won't help your mood.

The only vaguely practical way is to buy a round trip rail ticket to Bath and take the Mad Max as suggested by Joe in the first reply. If you get a good guide and a fair wind then the coach trip will allow you to see as much without the hassle.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

Thank you for your input,

After much thought and back and forth, i gave in and bought the Premium Tour to Stonehenge and bath. The entrances are included and I'll someone else worry about the transportation. I got 10 Pounds off coupon from London Toolkit. This Trip is mainly to see London. If I want to explore Bath and Stonehenge further, I'll make them more of a priority on my next trip.

Thank you again for your input.

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

Funny because i'm in the same boat. We heard that Premium Tours wasn't as good as it could be so we decided to go with Evans

9. Re: Day Trip to Stonehenge and Bath from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 07:17