We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Hello! I am throwing around the idea of a UK trip with my 3 children, who will be 14, 12, and 10 next summer. I was thinking 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. My initial thought is that I would like to visit England, Scotland, Whales, and Ireland. I do not wish to rent a car, if it is avoidable.

I am looking for budget minded tips and "must see" places for children of this age, as well as information on local transportation. Also, as I have not been to Europe in over 10 years, when is the best time of year/day to buy US-Europe airfare? We will be traveling in August 2015.

Thank you!!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

The general advice on the Ireland forum is that you cannot see the whole country in less than two weeks, so how you can do five countries in two weeks, by public transport, with three children in tow, is, quite frankly, beyond me.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

August is the busiest time of year so prices will undoubtedly reflect this.

No such thing s a "must see" only things you want to see.

Have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for details of train travel in the UK

This is a great site too http://www.seat61.com/

If you have some idea of where you want to go then people can help advise you on the practicalities, at the moment is just too vague.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

+1 fuschia. If you only have two weeks, choose somewhere you want to visit and go there. And although you might see whales, the country is called Wales.

Just to put it into perspective, would you advise someone to visit four US states in two weeks using public transport?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

I posted the question before becoming set on any one location, in hopes of finding a genuine response from someone who might suggest an area or region favored by children. I certainly realize that I can not see an entire counrty, or groups or countries, in only 2 weeks. I would, however, like to spend 2 weeks exploring the area. And I sincerely apologize for the spell check function on my iphone, how kind of you to point this out.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Look at some travel guides or internet sites with your children and try to narrow down where you would like to go.. What appeals to you all.?

It is impossible really for us to look at 4 countries and suggest somewhere that might be " favoured by children "

Come back with some ideas and we will help all we can.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Then post a question again when you have "set" yourself on one location. Read up using a few guidebooks, get the children involved. It's all part of the fun, isn't it? Then when you have an idea come back and ask for help instead of people here sending out shots in the dark thanks to your lack of information.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

With children you will want to visit "child friendly" destinations.

Well, most of the UK is child friendly, but perhaps look into what they are studying at school and see if any places you go to will be beneficial in terms of helping them with their studies.

I'm thinking along the lines of history and geography here!

As other people have said, get your kids involved and plan the trip around them; and don't forget to include some time for yourself too. ;-)

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Well as I am from Yorkshire, clearly I am biased toward the North of England. Check out some of the Tour de France opening stage last Saturday and Sunday to see how lovely it is.

York is easy to get to by rail from either London or Manchester and you don't need a car there. Loads of things for children, particularly Jorvik and national Rail Museum (free entry)

http://www.visityork.org/

Go to Pickering to see a castle and then take steam train ride to Whitby, seaside town with links to Dracula!

http://www.nymr.co.uk/

www.discoveryorkshirecoast.com/whitby.aspx

Kids are happy on a beach even if the weather is inclement.

Take them down a coal mine (free entry)

http://www.ncm.org.uk/

See how photography, TV and computers were invented and evolved (free entry)

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

Get them out for a walk in the countryside, but you could see some art as well

http://www.ysp.co.uk/

I could go on!!

Just a word re accomodation, in GB large family sized rooms are not the norm, so you may need to book 2 rooms if in an hotel, but self-catering in an apartment or cottage might be an adventure?

Not all the places I've mentioned are easy by public transport but it's not that bad driving over here.

And then .... there is Northumberland....

Enjoy your planning.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

Thank you!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips and "Must Sees" for budget friendly UK with kids

My pleasure, please come back if I can help.

Just be aware that August is when our children are on school holidays so prices go up and availabilty goes down. If you could manage June, prices and crowds will be less.

Particularly if you decide to visit Edinburgh in August, book as soon as you can.

Please rethink the car, it's OK really! We drive in Europe on "the wrong side" with no problems. Loads of threads on here with driving advice,a hire car will give you so much more flexibiblity with your family.

Enjoy planning!