We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

Hi all! I'm going to be coming into London Heathrow on 9/6. My place is supposed to land at 11:25, and then I need to take a train from London to Edinburgh. What's the best way/route to do this? I'm also not sure if I should buy advance tickets or not, in case my flight is delayed. Thoughts on this?

Also, just in general, SHOULD I buy advance train tickets? I'll be traveling one ways to the following spots

London to Edinburgh

Edinburgh to Liverpool

Liverpool to York

York to London

Any help is appreciated; thank you!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

First piece of advice, to avoid confusion on the forum, it's best to expand dates in an international format. I assume you mean 6th of September, but you might mean 9th of June next year, as that's what 9/6 means to us.

Second piece of advice, if you are going from Heathrow to Edinburgh - fly. Especially if you can get it added on to your existing ticket. Otherwise, look at flights with British Airways or Virgin Little Red, and give yourself plenty of time to connect. Trains to Edinburgh go from Kings Cross, which is about an hour's tube journey from Heathrow. Trains are expensive unless booked in advance and then you are restricted to a particular train, which might be tricky.

For all your other planned train journeys, book in advance. Tickets are released about twelve weeks before date of travel, so assuming you mean 6th September, these will be on sale now. See www.nationalrail.co.uk, which will give you the best prices and direct you to the appropriate train company to buy tickets. Do not go to thetrainline or redspottedhanky, which charge admin fees.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

You should buy Advance tickets if (a) your travel plans are definate and (b) you want to save (possibly a lot of) money.

Trains London Kings Cross - Edinburgh are mostly run by eastcoast.co.uk. There is also the Sleeper train Euston-Edinburgh run by scotrail.co.uk

You either allow enough time for delayed flight and risk a longer wait in London or take the risk that you miss your booked train and your ticket is worthless and have to pay for a full fare ticket. Or buy a flexible ticket with a seat reservation, which if you miss that train you can take a later one but without a reservation.

However arriving at Heathrow the best way would be to get your flight ticket extended to Edinburgh, giving you a guarantee of onward travel even if your flight is delayed, and saving you the time of travelling into London.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

Why are you flying to London when you want to be over 300 miles away?

If you'd booked to Edinburgh in the first place then you would have had more choice of routing, your connection would be protected, your luggage would have been checked through and possibly even avoid the need to go through UK immigration until you reached Edinburgh. Done right you could have been in Edinburgh before you even reached central London

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it. I am going September 6th, sorry about that! And the plan was to spend time in London first, but it ended up not working out so I'm going to Edinburgh first. I will check flights to see if I can extend, that's a good idea, and I'd prefer that.

Also not checking any luggage; will just have one bag that's a carry on. Thank you!

5. Re: Train Questions - Heathrow to Edinburgh & Advanced Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16