We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental vor over 75?

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental vor over 75?

Does anyone know of a specific car rental company that will rent to a driver over 75 who has an impeccable driving record? An extra surcharge is fine, just wondering if it is even possible.

Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Start with the fundamentals, because many Americans ask about car rental because they think its necessary, and maybe it is, but it is problematic, so where wouldy ou be travelling between, because it may be its not needed at all? Is this a road trip or an A to B?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

I don't think there's a simple answer to your question judging by this newspaper article from 2012:

telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/9494611…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,103 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Reading the above article..it is possible.

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Joeintheuk,

We will need a car rental. We will be in Suffolk for one week of our trip and also other areas of the country not conducive to public transport for 5 adults. My husband is from Suffolk and is very comfortable driving in the UK--it's just that his age is against him this trip!

Thanks CheresX, I will read the link. I'm just hoping that someone out there is able to give me the 'simple answer'!!

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Thanks for your help. We're going to give Hertz a call.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Fair enough LARDW, that's why I asked you'd be surprised how many people think they should rent a car to drive round London for sightseeing or similar :-)

If you find somewhere please post back as it will be useful to future posters

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,299 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Just looking at holidayautos.com if you unclick the box marked 25 to 70 it asks for your age. I put in 78 and they found multiple cars at LGW for instance. When checking the t&c's it listed drivers up to 99. Autoeurope.com did not have any issue with 78 year old either. Both are very reputable brokers using major firms so have a look there. Just 100% check the terms before booking.

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Thanks! I will try holidayautos.com--and I will post back with answers either way.

Joeintheuk--I didn't mind you asking that question! It's a reasonable place to start when offering advice about car rental in a foreign country.

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Thanks for all of your assistance.

This is what we did--we went online to rentalcars.com and unticked the box where it gives you the drivers age range (I think its 25-75) and did a search for the dates and types of car we wanted. It came up with a possible rental for us. We then called their toll-free number to double-check that age wasn't going to be an issue because there was no place on the reservation form to put an age, just that beginning part where you untick the box. We ended up reserving via their toll-free number. They told my husband that there would be certain cities he would be unable to drive in, but that won't pose a problem for us since most of our driving will be not be city anyway.

Thanks again everyone, for helping me figure this out!! I appreciate it!

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental vor over 75?

Forgot to tell you--the car is through Hertz, but it was much cheaper going through rentalcars.com!