We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Spots for October Travel

Boyne Falls...
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Spots for October Travel

We have all but 7-10 days of our October trip planned. We have been to England in Sept. but not in October, but we don't mind rain. We are torn between, Lake District, Peak District, Severn Valley in Wales, and Cornwall (which we always love). What's best in October?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

Given our unpredictable weather impossible to answer!

As you state October - I hope you're aware that the last week (25 Oct - 2 Nov) will be half-term holiday for most English schools, so things will be busier then. Also we put our clocks back on Sunday 26 October, like most of Europe, but earlier than the US I understand.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

My vote goes to the Lake District.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

Thinking more about this - where else are you going and what do you want from this period - eg do you want a contrast to a spell in London or a different type of scenery etc etc? Are you wanting more than scenery eg stately homes, museums and galleries?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,297 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

I dont think the fact that it will be October should be a factor in deciding where to go, it will be October everywhere!! It can be a really lovely month (no guarantees).

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

For me it would be the Lake District, Wye Valley, North Devon or even the south east. Somewhere with rivers and trees but near enough somewhere you can go if it's very wet.

October is usually a lovely month when the trees are turning colour. We can give a really good show.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

SO SORRY I missed this posting and just reposted our itinerary so far. We will be in the Cotswolds and at the end of the trip we will be in Suffolk visiting friends and then going to the Tower of London which although we go to the UK every couple of years we have never visited. We prefer of the beaten path but the hubby is insisting that this be included. Where is the best color and which area has the best coastal walks. We love the sea. However, the Wye Valley and Lake District beckon too. If we were to go to Stoke on Trent for a day would up to Wales and the Lake District give us good color?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

TD - if you want to have this as your main thread you can have the new one closed, by clicking on the "report" option and there's one near the end of the list you can use - something like remove my post). If you'd rather we replied on the new thread perhaps a post on here with a link to the new thread to request that would be a good idea otherwise it could get confusing!

While you decide, I'll respond and say S-o-T is not usually on the tourist radar - it's one of those places that has lost its main industry and consequently now in need of (and getting some) regeneration. There are options that may better suit not too far away, though

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

Don't put too much emphasis on autumnal colours; we're not really noted for it. Some years are good, others not and there is always a risk that strong autumn winds will blow the leaves off the trees very quickly. My view is that your best option for seeing colourful displays is in the Lake District in the fourth or maybe third week of October. And that, I'm afraid, is a mini peak season as it corresponds with half term school holidays.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

So far I think we've been round most of England.

If you are in the Cotswolds and prepared to get to Cornwall why not make it easier and go for Somerset and Exmoor. It is a very rare winter we don't get autumn colours because of the mild climate and wooded river valleys and long beech hedges. Tho moorland colours are beautiful too.

We have a heritage coastline with every sort of scenery, beach type I can think of so there is a choice of area. Add a lot of 14thC thatched cottages, real ale and home cooked food too. About 1hr off the motorway at Taunton, Somerset

Another thought as you will be in the area is the Westonbirt National Arboretum which is huge, it's less than an hour from Bath.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186292-d2…

Edited: 11 August 2014, 16:42
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Spots for October Travel

Good Idea. There's a great bed and breakfast I had wished we could stay in that is located in Somerset. Is there a good coastal path near Clovelly? Perhaps we could go from Taunton to the coast? Driving distances doesn't bother us as we live in a rural resort area in the USA and travel 1 hour each way to work, and my husband loves driving in England.