We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

My husband and I want to do some water side walking while in England in Mid-October. We are looking at coastal walks in Cornwall or walking in the Lake District. Although we have made several trips to England we have never gone in October. Which is best this time of year? (We don't mind misty rain) Have also considered the Dorset coast. Please Help! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

Our weather is notorious for being unpredictable. I will give you a link to the Met Office page that will link to statistics:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate

However averages and the past are not a guide to what you will get in October - they will tell you which area is on average warmer and drier, but in any given year this could be the opposite in reality.

If you're a "fair weather" walker (like me) then I'd look at what else you would do if the weather didn't suit your walking plans and pick the area accordingly.

2. Re: Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 17:42
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

Walking in Cornwall tends to mean the coastal path, which is excellent, but for scenic variety and a good range of easy and more ambitious walks, the Lake District is a clear winner, IMO. Also, if you're lucky you could get wonderful autumn colours there - but don't bank on that.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

The weather could be anything in both places. Glorious sunshine, torrential winds and rain, or just grey skies and dull.

The Lake District is the finest walking area in England, so go there.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
5. Re: Best Walking in Oct. Lake District or Cornwall????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17