Just arrived in London from Australia and have been really wanting to tour the UK by car more specially by camper-van or the like. The plan is to do this for roughly 28 days and then be in a position to head to Germany (cheaply) for Octoberfest. Would pick up the car in London (unless cheaper somewhere else) and either drop it off in London or other place that is cheap to head to Germany. My issues so far have been this:
1. Money is an issue so the cheaper option is preferable. If it is anything more than about $30 (pound) a day it's just not feasible.
2. Have looked at a few car rental companies but nothing has stood out. Any tips on car rentals without it costing me so much?
3. Have been told it may roughly cost a few hundred pounds in fuel to drive up and back down. Does this sound about right?
4. I understand a ferry to Island will cost but have heard that there are different ferry companies. Is there a cheaper way of doing this?
5. I have emailed a bunch of companies (people are yet to respond) but do rental companies allow travel to Scotland Wales and Island without any issues? Are there additional costs?
6. I have a route planned out but in Australia roads are becoming more and more tolled. Will it be costly with tolls up and down the UK? What's the approximate cost if possible?
7. In Australia you can pretty much pull up anywhere and sleep for the night. Technically you can be fined but police have better things to do (hopefully). What's the laws here in the UK for the similar thing?
8. Do camper-vans here need to be "recharged" by a power outlet (usually at campsites). I want to save money on accommodation by sleeping in the van but it becomes less attractive if I have to pay for camping site for recharge.
9. In Australia most rental companies do relocation specials. Eg someone drives it north but not back. The company will then make it dirt cheap for someone to pick it up and drive it back south.
10. Finally from my research this is comparative to travelling via train or bus plus is less restrictive (once you factor in accommodation at hostels). Does this sound right?
There is no real itinerary or direction but the idea was to head north from London to Scotland and then across to island. I know these questions may be vague but any idea of price and or hints would be so greatly appreciated.