We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip the UK

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip the UK

Hi

Just arrived in London from Australia and have been really wanting to tour the UK by car more specially by camper-van or the like. The plan is to do this for roughly 28 days and then be in a position to head to Germany (cheaply) for Octoberfest. Would pick up the car in London (unless cheaper somewhere else) and either drop it off in London or other place that is cheap to head to Germany. My issues so far have been this:

1. Money is an issue so the cheaper option is preferable. If it is anything more than about $30 (pound) a day it's just not feasible.

2. Have looked at a few car rental companies but nothing has stood out. Any tips on car rentals without it costing me so much?

3. Have been told it may roughly cost a few hundred pounds in fuel to drive up and back down. Does this sound about right?

4. I understand a ferry to Island will cost but have heard that there are different ferry companies. Is there a cheaper way of doing this?

5. I have emailed a bunch of companies (people are yet to respond) but do rental companies allow travel to Scotland Wales and Island without any issues? Are there additional costs?

6. I have a route planned out but in Australia roads are becoming more and more tolled. Will it be costly with tolls up and down the UK? What's the approximate cost if possible?

7. In Australia you can pretty much pull up anywhere and sleep for the night. Technically you can be fined but police have better things to do (hopefully). What's the laws here in the UK for the similar thing?

8. Do camper-vans here need to be "recharged" by a power outlet (usually at campsites). I want to save money on accommodation by sleeping in the van but it becomes less attractive if I have to pay for camping site for recharge.

9. In Australia most rental companies do relocation specials. Eg someone drives it north but not back. The company will then make it dirt cheap for someone to pick it up and drive it back south.

10. Finally from my research this is comparative to travelling via train or bus plus is less restrictive (once you factor in accommodation at hostels). Does this sound right?

There is no real itinerary or direction but the idea was to head north from London to Scotland and then across to island. I know these questions may be vague but any idea of price and or hints would be so greatly appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip the UK

In summary :

Your budget is too low.

Your plans are unrealistic, a camper van unless its big which you cant afford, if its small and cheap will be too cold at night now

Driving and parking in cities will be problematic or impossible.

You would likely do better with hostels and buses between cities but without an itinerary no one can say for sure.

The country is called "Ireland" not "Island"

There are no such cheap one way rentals as you may have in Oz, its a totally different market.

Can you really not work out how many miles you will drive and petrol consumption and therefore how much that will cost ?

Most car rental companies wont let you take a car on a ferry. Odds of getting a camper van I'd have thought about zero, and the ferry cost will make your eyes bleed even if they did.

Forget emailing companies you need to be phoning but forget that anyway, hostels and buses are all you can afford on an incredibly low £30 a night lodging budget.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 00:36
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip the UK

>>> 1. Money is an issue so the cheaper option is preferable. If it is anything more than about $30 (pound) a day it's just not feasible. <<<

I think you have answered your own questions right there

>>.hostels and buses are all you can afford on an incredibly low £30 a night lodging budget.<<<

Joe has summed it up perfectly

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip the UK

1. Money is an issue so the cheaper option is preferable. If it is anything more than about $30 (pound) a day it's just not feasible.

double your budget

2. Have looked at a few car rental companies but nothing has stood out. Any tips on car rentals without it costing me so much?

probably cheaper to have booked in Australia

3. Have been told it may roughly cost a few hundred pounds in fuel to drive up and back down. Does this sound about right?

yes

4. I understand a ferry to Island will cost but have heard that there are different ferry companies. Is there a cheaper way of doing this?

fly

5. I have emailed a bunch of companies (people are yet to respond) but do rental companies allow travel to Scotland Wales and Island without any issues? Are there additional costs?

Scotland and Wales are part of the UK so no problem

Ireland is Ireland - depends on the company

6. I have a route planned out but in Australia roads are becoming more and more tolled. Will it be costly with tolls up and down the UK? What's the approximate cost if possible?

next to no tolls in the UK

7. In Australia you can pretty much pull up anywhere and sleep for the night. Technically you can be fined but police have better things to do (hopefully). What's the laws here in the UK for the similar thing?

you would need to be discreet, you can't park everywhere

10. Finally from my research this is comparative to travelling via train or bus plus is less restrictive (once you factor in accommodation at hostels). Does this sound right?

try http://www.blablacar.com/ for car sharing

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip the UK

For 28 days you have £30 per day, = £840? Is this for everything or just car hire?

A ferry to Ireland and back (assuming you mean Ireland an not a Scottish island), would be around £250 minimum, I dont think your budget would cover even basic car hire. You neeed either more money or less time. There are no restrictions on driving around Gt Britain but most of Ireland is not in the UK so there is extra insurance, and if you bring a car over you must bring it back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip the UK

<<<Just arrived in London from Australia >>

In which case, you are probably already realising your budget is way too low.

How do you plan to get to Germany later in your trip ? If you think you can take a camper van there from the UK, think again

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip the UK

Campervans are expensive to hire - probably not going to be the cheap option, plus they burn more fuel than a small car would, adding more to your costs. Also, you aren't allowed to 'wild camp' (though you can in Scotland). You do see people in laybys at the side of roads sometimes.. fine if you don't mind being woken up by trucks rumbling past). Most of England is too densely populated for there to be quiet places to pull up. Many car parks in the UK have height barriers as well, so it can be tricky to find parking sometimes.. though we usually manage to get around OK!

Look for example at http://www.yha.org.uk/ for youth hostel prices. National Express are the main long distance bus company for the cheapest travel. Maybe hire a car for shorter rural trips, and use bus/train for intercity journeys. In most cities, a car is a handicap - you have to pay to park it somewhere. Trains can be very cheap *if* you buy the tickets 2 or 3 months in advance for a specific train.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip the UK

OP is here already so there will limited options for cheap advance deals.

8. Re: Road trip the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:15