We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

My family (2 adults 2 teenage girls) is planning to drive from the Scottish Borders to Cardiff in early January 2015. I would like to take a couple of days to do the drive, stopping at points of interest (eg Stratford-on-Avon) along the way. Given the likely (wet? foggy? snowy?) weather, where would be the best places to stop and experience some of England's attractions? After spending a couple of days in Cardiff (so my 14yr old can do everything Dr Who) we will move onto London for a week before flying out. All suggestions welcome:)

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.60*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
627 reviews
from US$100.30*
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

That's a long drive and there is no 'likely' weather but a wide range of possible weather (from fine and dry to snowed in and nothing moving on the roads). Probably estimate in good conditions at least 7 to 8 hours driving time if you take the fastest route and don't deviate from it or stop too much. Which is the problem, because taking the fastest route isn't all that nice after the first hour or two (and doesn't go anywhere near the one place you've mentioned which is Stratford-on Avon).

'Where would be the best places to stop' is a fairly impossible question to answer when you've given a geograpical area spanning about half the country, through which there are a variety of routes you could take and no idea of what you actually want to do and see. If you want to drive from Duns to Stratford, however, see Stratford and then drive onto Cardiff, then that seems like plenty for two days anyway.

If the question was 'what's the best way to get from Duns to Cardiff' then my suggestion would be to drive to Newcastle or Edinburgh airport, ditch the car and get a plane. If Stratford is a particular priority then you might find doing that and then doing Stratford as a daytrip from London might work out a better use of your time.

For the Cardiff to London leg, of course, train wins every time (two hours city centre to city centre).

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

For clarification, in case you come from one of those place where you get metres of snow and the roads still end up clear and flowing well, for the purposes of the UK 'snowed in' equals about five snowflakes falling and the roads somehow grinding to a halt....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,341 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

And also bear in mind the short hours of daylight in January. It will get dark before 5pm.

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

Thanks so much for your response. We are from Western Australia so have no experience driving in snow or on icy roads, and for that reason been advised to stick to motorways and other main roads. We are also used to traveling long distances without stopping so it's going to be a challenge for my husband to take two whole days to do such a 'short' drive. I just want to stop and see a little bit of England along the way :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

It may not be long in terms of miles for you, but you cannot grasp the congestion on some of the main roads.

I think taking a break is sensible, rather than trying to rush.

I would suggest York may have more to offer, but its your choice.

6. Re: Road trip from Duns to Cardiff in January 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:16