We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European holiday - places to see

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
European holiday - places to see

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe July/August 2015. It's the 'dream trip' so naturally I'm over thinking everything.

I've spoken to a travel agent, who has given me advice, itinerary ideas and a rough quote based on 6 weeks and the following places:

London

Paris

Venice

Florence

Rome

Zurich

Prague

Krakow

Split to Dubrovnik (mini sailing cruise)

Athens

Santorini

After looking at the quote I've started to think we might be able to extend our trip to 8 weeks, and also wondering if we are silly to overlook Scotland, Ireland & England outside of London.

I'd appreciate advice/thoughts on Scotland, Ireland, and anything else really. Also, am I underestimating how long 6 weeks will actually be, and would pushing it to 8 be simply too long? Is there something else you'd recommend?

We're young, childless, open to self drive and other transport. We've been planning the idea of the trip for a long time, but now we've actually started to nut it out its a bit overwhelming when you add or delete an option after research.

I have asked the travel agent this question, just after as many ideas as possible.

Thanks guys!

Allisa (Australia)

P.S I realise I've posted in the UK forum, but have also posted elsewhere for more ideas.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European holiday - places to see

6 weeks is 42 days

11 places ; 3.8 days per place (including travel time between them. And assuming your travel to/from home is in addition to the 6 weeks.

So it's probably possible, but seems to many places in a short time to me.

Plus, as you say, you mainly have a list of large towns and cities ; no national parks, rivers, countryside, villages, mountains etc.

Since you are posting on the UK board, then of course we'd encourage you to see more of the UK. Three days probably isn't enough in London.

From London to Paris, travel by train (buy tickets from Eurostar.com about 6 months in advance when cheap tickets are release). Train's ideal for Rome/Venice/Florence too. Cars are more use in rural areas - they tend to be a real handicap in European city centres that were laid out largely before the car was invented.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European holiday - places to see

You've asked a very open question, but straightaway I'd drop the travel agent!

Do your own research and decide where YOU want to go. ;-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,877 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: European holiday - places to see

I make that 10 days travelling between countries/cities..........that's a big chunk out of your time when you could be enjoying somewhere properly. It's just hitting the spots and major player sight seeing.

Also July and August are the most expensive and busiest times. There will be crowds, queues and because of the school summer holidays lots and lots of children. So actually seeing, experiencing atmosphere will probably not happen in the cities

If you are very young and just want to have a look at a city you probably could do it.

Do you want to? Is this how you wanted your dream trip to be?

4. Re: European holiday - places to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 06:16