We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District or Scottish Highlands

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

Hello!

We're planning to visit around the 3rd week of August until the 1st of September. We'll be spending 7 days around London so we have about 1 week to spend in either Scottish Highlands or Lake District. We like nice drives and wonderful sceneries. I know both places have those but we can only visit one. What are your opinions?

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
71 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

The Lake District is smaller and more compact, you are never far from a village or a lake and there is a different vista around every corner. Obviously closer to London

Whereas the Highlands are grander, massive mountains long glens , long sea lochs that mean you have to travel lots of miles to get around them, and wide long valleys. You can travel a lot more miles between villages

You will need to drive further in the Highlands to "take it all in" but it's awe inspiring , more of a wilderness feel about the Highlands than the Lake District.

In seven days you will spend two days driving from London to the Highlands and if you decide on the Highlands you can still drive through the Lake District on route to the Highlands.

Just come off the M6 at Junction 36 follow the A591 through the Lake District to Keswick and rejoin the M6 via the A66 at Penrith you may wish to break your journey North here

Edited: 9 years ago
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,696 posts
81 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

I couldn't chose between the two with the info you've given but if you're planning to drive there from London then I'd go for the Lake District. If you chose the Highlands then I'd train to Edinburgh or even fly to Inverness and pick up a hire car from there - otherwise the drive from London will be a holiday in itself!

Note there is a bank holiday the last Monday in August for England & Wales and it's a popular week for people to take holidays so book your accommodation early. Schools in Scotland will be starting back after the summer break around that time so you might find accommodation easy to come by.......with the exception of around Edinburgh due to the festivals!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
119,829 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
3. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

Both areas are lovely but different. I prefer the Highlands of Scotland because I like the greater feel of wilderness that leuca describes.

But if you are staying in London, then the Lake District will be easier, though probably more crowded.

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

Thanks for the replies! :) We'll be taking the train from London to Glasgow/Edinburgh if ever we decide to go to the Scottish Highlands. Btw, we will also be visiting the Cotswolds for a few days. Do u think the Lake District is better because of its proximity to the Cotswolds?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
75 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands
Save

Are you planning on visiting the Cotswolds as part of your 7 days 'around London' or will that be a separate part of your trip? If you only have about 2 weeks in all I think I'd opt for the Lake District simply to cut down on the travelling - as previous posters have said, the Scottish Highlands are on a completely different scale to the Lake District, and really demand a trip in their own right. At that time of the year you'll find it difficult to escape the crowds thronging to the Cotswolds and the Lake District (certainly in the main towns and the most obviously 'touristy' of the smaller villages), but as long as you're prepared for that, then fine.

6. Re: Lake District or Scottish Highlands

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.